Graphics Driver Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
lukeyyyyy
Visitor

Graphics Driver Problem

I am looking to update my driver for the following graphics card; Nivida 330M

My laptop is a 14" Cw, model number VPCCW2Z1E

I have downloaded the correct driver off the nivida website however when I try to install this it gives me the messages the grpaihcs driver could not find the compatible graphics hardware

I then went on to download the correct driver off the sony website, however when i entered my serial number the driver which came up is outdated?

I then found a vaio which had a similar series graphics card in it, a (540m) as they share the same driver according to the nvidia website but on the sony site it said this driver is only for this laptop do not download for any other laptop,

where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

NVidia do not support most mobile graphics chips with drivers.  This is the responsibility of the manufacturer - in your case Sony - and consequently the versions on the nVidia website will not install.

As there are new driver versions almost weekly and most of these updates are to address problems with other individual manufacturers installations, Sony will only test and release an update if it is necessary to address a problem.  The time taken to fully test a new driver version on all the Vaio hardware is quite significant and, sadly, this means that updates to not come as often as many users may wish.

If you are not experiencing any difficulties then it is wise to stick with the Sony version which is fully tested for your Vaio.  If you have a specific problem then report it to Vaio Support - the more who report problems, the more likely that an update will be released. 

As a last resort - and at your own risk - you can install a driver using a modded .INF from here: -

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

Read the instructions for modifying the installer .INF file carefully.  See 'Frequent Questions' on the right.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

NVidia do not support most mobile graphics chips with drivers.  This is the responsibility of the manufacturer - in your case Sony - and consequently the versions on the nVidia website will not install.

As there are new driver versions almost weekly and most of these updates are to address problems with other individual manufacturers installations, Sony will only test and release an update if it is necessary to address a problem.  The time taken to fully test a new driver version on all the Vaio hardware is quite significant and, sadly, this means that updates to not come as often as many users may wish.

If you are not experiencing any difficulties then it is wise to stick with the Sony version which is fully tested for your Vaio.  If you have a specific problem then report it to Vaio Support - the more who report problems, the more likely that an update will be released. 

As a last resort - and at your own risk - you can install a driver using a modded .INF from here: -

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

Read the instructions for modifying the installer .INF file carefully.  See 'Frequent Questions' on the right.

:thinking: