Join now - be part of our community!

Dualdisc problem

odieke
Visitor

Dualdisc problem

Hey guys & girls,
I'm the proud owner of a FS415M laptop and am very happy about it. There's only one problem, i'm not able to read the cd audio side of a dualdisc. I can read the dvd side, but i would love to be able to read the cd side as well since i want to play it in itunes. Is anyone else aware of this problem and is there maybe a solution? i already tried a biosupdate for my dvd reader but it didn't resolve the problem. I think its kinda strange my new laptop doesn't read a format sony invented a year ago...:smileycry: greetings from belgium....

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi odieke and welcome to Club Vaio,

Dualdisk is an excellent idea but has been a problem in practice. Several makers of DVD drives have issued warnings about possible problems with Dualdisc in their equpment. These manufacturers include Pioneer, Panasonic and (ironically) Sony.

It seems that the CD layer does not conform to normally agreed international standards (it is only 0.9mm thick where the Red Book standatd is 1.1mm) and cannot be played in some equipment.

It is also riddled with DRM features - which may account for your problem.

Does it play in your TV DVD Player?

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I hate DualDisk, it's a nice idea, but it's a PITA
They're thicker than normal CDs too

Does this CD play in any other drives?

odieke
Visitor

the dualdisc plays perfectly (both sides) in my sony DAV-SC5 home cinema system. all my other dualdiscs don't play on my laptop either....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm afraid it is a common problem with 'stand-alone' DVD drives.

There is no solution - Sorry.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think you mean computer DVD drives Blencogo