Join now - be part of our community!

DelSelfPatch - Notepad

profile.country.en_GB.title
morrisonpc
Visitor

DelSelfPatch - Notepad

When I restart my Vaio VPCF23N1E latop, the attached window appears under the heading "DelSelfPatch - Notepad". Shutting it down does not appear to affect operation of the computer, but its continual appearance is frustrating. Is there any way to stop it appearing?

Tags (2)
31 REPLIES 31
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi morrisonpc,

I’m unfamiliar with this message but it is possibly connected with Vaio Care. Have you checked that all updates both in ‘Vaio Status’ and ‘One Click Care’ have installed correctly?

If there are any updates that have failed to install you may find that your security software is blocking the installation. If there are updates that refuse to install try running ‘One Click Care’ with your anti-virus software disabled.

Also, If you have not aleady done so, it would be worth running a FULL virus scan to eliminate the possibility of malware.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
morrisonpc
Visitor

Rich:

Thanks for this. I run full virus scans with monotonous regularity, so I doubt if this is the cause. Also, VAIO Care is fully up-to-date and installed.

If it helps your consideration, the actual wording of the DelSelfPatch Notepad is:

set args = WScript.Arguments

if args.Count>0 then

'MsgBox args(0)

Set ws = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

command="cmd /c rd /s /q %SystemDrive%\Update\" & Chr(34) & args(0) & Chr(34)

ws.run command.vbhide

'MsgBox command

end if

Set ws = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

command="schtasks.exe /Delete /TN ""Sony Corporation\VAIO care\DelSelfPatch"" /F" ws.run command,vbhide

'MsgBox command

Any further help you can offer would be appreciated.

MorrisPC

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi morrisonpc,

Thanks for the further information. We will run this past Support and report any feedback in this thread

It may be that this will be solved by the upcoming Vaio Care 8 update.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
TRFCDeano
New

I have a vaio vpcsb and have been directed to this thread by a sony administrator.

Whenever i open windows i get a message say ( can't find script engine "vbscript"for script " c:\program\sony corporation\vaio care\delselfpatch.vbs"

I have had this problem for several months and have also raised this as a query direct to customer services in the past. I have tried to unistall vaio care (as administrator and in safe mode) but vaio care wont let me unistall. Any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi TRFCDeano,

Thanks for posting. I will add your comments to the escalation.

This problem was raised with Support yesterday morning. No reply to date but please monitor this thread for further information.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi TRFCDeano,

Have you carried out a full virus scan as Support seems to think that this is malware related?

If your normal scanner is not detecting any threats then please try the following free utility.

http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

Rich

Also please try stopping all startup applications and services (apart from Microsoft Services) via System Configuration and then see whether the error message still appears.

To open System Configuration click Start and type msconfig in the search field then click ‘msconfig’.

Ultimately Support suggest a reset to factory settings but I doubt either of you would want to go down that route unless all other avenues have been explored.

Message was edited by: rich912

To provide further information.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
morrisonpc
Visitor

Rich:

Sorry to be a bore, but…

I downloaded and ran the free Dr.Web Curit! Scan in the default Enhanced Protection Mode. No threats were detected.

I then tried stopping all startup applications and services (apart from Microsoft Services) via System Configuration as suggested. The DelSelfPatch Notepad window still appears at start up.

Any further suggestions?

morrisonpc

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi morrisonpc,

Thanks for the information. This would seem to rule out malware as the problem so I will get back to Support for further suggestions. I'm hoping that there will soon be a Vaio Care update released that may possibly solve the issue.

I will post again as soon as any further information is available.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi morrisonpc & TRFCDeano,

This problem has been escalated to a higher level of support.

It has been confirmed that other cases have been reported.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat