Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
Racer242
Visitor

I've got a FE31HR (11.12.06) and also having the clicking sound problem - hard drive - FUJITSU MHV2100BH PL. This sound sometimes appears only after waking up from the hibernate mode. I solve this problem by Power off and then - Power on. After that, it's Ok.

anforti77
New

I have also had this clicking problem and am glad that a solution has been found. There are a few other minor problems with my VGN-FE11S, so I will send it back to Sony for repair.

Thanks for all the investigative work! :smileygrin:

Best,
doonyakka

catrapumba
Visitor

Could anyone, please, guide me through, step by step the way of doing a bootable CD to use the fix.

On Nero file it looks for an IMA file,
such as C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\DosBootimage.IMA

How do i do an IMA file?

Regards

Shambolic $ony :smileymoney_eyes:

jojotaro
Visitor

Hello, mates
This is definitely my first post here, and I'm not so happy that my first post about my vaio is a complain which still haven't been solved by any capable excuse.
I just bought my AR21S as the last one from the sony center in Gateshead even in entire Newcastle. First at all, I was so glad with the fabulous smart thing. But this moment doesn't last forever, then the problems come up. Whatever I do with my laptop, listen to the music, watch a couple of movies, play around with the latest PES6 or even, even I left it to have a cup of instant noodle in front of, here always being some kind of stupid sound like BeeBeeBee comes from the right hand side of the maint part of my 2000 pound Vaio. And now, one day passed by, I finally learned what you guys here, I mean everyone, talking about, YES, the CLICKING s appears just like they are supposed to be exist. Now they keeps singing from computer into my mind, disturb me all the time.

I really wanna make sure ARE THOSE CLICKING SOUNDS AND NOISES FROM THE LAPTOP SOMEWHERE I DON'T KNOW ALL NORMAL?? IS EVERYONE WHO HAS A VAIO LAPTOP EXPERIERING THE SAME THING LIKE ME?
Hope I can find the answer here and as soon as I got it, I will call Sony for the solution if the problem does exist.

PS: Hope everyone saw my post can stand and understand what I'm talking about as my poor non-native English :tongue:

Regards

catrapumba
Visitor

$ony rip-off merchants

Spent 50 min trying to register on $ony site, to raise a support e-ticket , for my Vaio FE21S - still under warranty - and plagued by the clicking noise.

Possibly, as I am UK based, the website has not registered my computer, to force me onto their premium number web support number to increase their revenue.

Well done, rip-off $ony, ba$tard$!!!

Ps. 22min and still no answer on their clocking revenue number.

daryl_mushtaq
Visitor

hi-

not sure if suggrested before-

had the same problem before with an omnibook.

it would be happy and then without warning would go into a clicking loop. it was reading to bad sectors and retrying.

ran a diag prog from the manufac of the drive and told it to hide the sectors from the os.

all was fine for months then started again. so repeated the above.

guess the drive is on the way out.

sorry....

rogersolari
Visitor

Hi,
I have the same problem with my VGN-FE11S.

I also read some threads around and saw that sony send a CD to fix this problem with MHV2160BT firmware update. but I move to another adress and I dont know if sony send it to me and if not how can i have this CD.

thanks

anmcnic33
New

Hello.

I've been watching this thread now for near on a year. I'm a FE11s owner and have had the clunking/clicking all this time. Finally I contacted Sony support. [THEY KNOW THE PROBLEM]
They sent me the firmware revision 14, talked about in previous postings. [DID NOT WORK]
They asked me to do a scan Hard drive error check. [ALL IN WORKING ORDER]
They asked me to shut down Hard drive via power management.[NO CLUNKING/CLICKING]
They PICKED UP my beloved Vaio last week.
Returned on Monday with a new Hard drive,[NO CLUNKING OR CLICKING] Silence is golden.

Well done Carelino.

Well done Sony.

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Hello.

I've been watching this thread now for near on a year. I'm a FE11s owner and have had the clunking/clicking all this time. Finally I contacted Sony support. [THEY KNOW THE PROBLEM]
They sent me the firmware revision 14, talked about in previous postings. [DID NOT WORK]
They asked me to shut down Hard drive via power management.[NO CLUNKING/CLICKING]
Returned on Monday with a new Hard drive,[NO CLUNKING OR CLICKING] Silence is golden.

Well done Carelino.

Well done Sony.

You are all welcome. Nice of you to also add your experiance. Think Sony can't deny this problem after almost 70.000 visits and almost 400 replies. The funniest thing is that my link to the clicking sound on megaupload is still working. So people can still download it
DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND Think Megaupload was happy with me posting this one. Lost of people visited it. Well it's nice to read Sony knows about the problem, it means I achieved my goal. :smileygrin:

Corwin
Visitor

Hello.

Well done Carelino.

Well done Sony.

"Well done Sony ?!?!?"

What the Hell is "well done" by releasing a products far more expensive than others with no configuration testing?

Have Sony customers become unvoluntary beta testers?!

Though I could solve the problem with a firmware update (sent to me by Sony by demand) I will not buy ANY Sony product in near future. Only stylish, looking good & hip is not enough. I expect a product at this price range to work from the beginning.
Maybe Sony should pay their employees higher wages to keep up the satisfaction at work.
Satisfied workers are essential for any company - so also for you, Sony.

Goodbye