Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound FE11S sequel

Now just like a lot of Vaio FE11S users I had the clicking sound where my hardisk is. People who suggest it is the hardisk working, please save me the trouble of telling 100 times it is not the harddisk working sound. I had enough laptops to know the difference.

DOWNLOAD CLICKING SOUND

Now what I would like to know is if there has been anyone who send his/her laptop to Sony back to let them check it out. If yes, I ofcourse would really like to know what sony told you or what you did eventually. It seems to me nobody knows the solution. I did call sony and told them everything about the problem. They said it was something wich is new to them. I gave them the club-vaio link where people posted about the same problem. This coming week I am going to send my laptop to sony, this clicking sound disturbs me a lot.

I know that there are previous threads about this Old thread about clicking sound link , but I wanted to post a sequal where people could post their experience and opinion. Please don't suggest me to open up my harddisk or laptop, and once again it is NOT the harddisk working sound.

What happens: "The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone for a while." I personally think it has something to do with the reading arm. The clicking sound appears always when the laptop is not working. It's like when the harddisk is not working it cant get into the resting position, and keep on trying. I hope sony is going to spend serious time on this problem, especially it seems to be a common problem.

Important suggestions and remarks of others:

hard drive is made by fujitsu & they have a diagnostic software tool on the fujitsu web site & when i ran it, the program said no hard drive found on laptop, i spoke to fujitsu & they said i should wait for later version of software to come out, which i will do! anyone who goes to fujitsu web site, the version i tryed is 6.40

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue: We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

448 REPLIES 448
Liontaraki
Visitor

Hello everybody!
This problem, that bothers you all, is the reason I signed in to club-vaio!
I have a FE11S for over a year now and from time to time I hear the clicking... I was sure that this was not within the normal working conditions of the hard disk and I was worried about a disk failure!
Each time it happened, next thing was to run a defrag on the HDD and then turn of the computer for about 15min. After that I didn't hear the click for almost a week, sometimes two...I know this is not the solution but I think it helps not to wear down the HDD.
I also don't believe that the HDD will fail because of this anymore.
My little experience on working in a computer company, where we also had to replace notebooks's components, says that if something works you don't send it to be fixed!!!! Trust me on that!
I don't believe sony's fixing lab enviroment is better! Nor the service!
(the last I know for sure!)
Is there any other working solution than sending the vaio back?
Sorry if that was already mentioned before, I didn't have the time to read all posts!
Good afternoon to everyone and don't forget to backup...

anmcnic33
New

Hello again.

All i tried to say is you know the problem. Contact Sony, they will replace your hard drive.
Viao's are still good computers. And yes they look good. Is that not why we paid £.

For sorting it.I got my Vaio back in 5 days from pick-up. And had Sony calling me every 3 days to see if they could help me. In this day and age this is good customer care.

And we should all give a kiss to Carelino.

acecooper
Visitor

Hi there, i have a sony AR-11M laptop. I've had this clicking sound- JUST like the one you have (i've listened to your sample clip). I have a clean installation of Windows Vista and it seems to happen when i'm not using the laptop- when its idle and not doing anything- when i open 'resource monitor' to see if the Hard Disk is in use it confirms that it's not.

'Device Manager' shows my Hard Disk as a 'Fujitsu MHV2160BT'. In the beta versions of Windows Vista i was able to chage the HDD Policy Settings such as 'Optimize for quick removal, enable write caching/advanced performance' - all which had no effect. The final version of Vista doesn't let me change these settings now though and says 'This device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified'.

rogersolari
Visitor

Hi, ok.

Since my notebook is not on 1 year period, will sony do something for me? like change my HD? if not I think I want to forget this and buy a new HD.

bdshipon
Visitor

hai,
i am felling same sound also in my laptop.My loptop model is VGN-CS1/H. Have u got any solution for this.

bye
nurul islam

Carelino
Visitor

Hi, ok.

Since my notebook is not on 1 year period, will sony do something for me? like change my HD? if not I think I want to forget this and buy a new HD.

Call Sony and ask them. I don't think they will but you can always try since they admit now finally there is a problem.

Carelino
Visitor

Hello everybody!
This problem, that bothers you all, is the reason I signed in to club-vaio!
I have a FE11S for over a year now and from time to time I hear the clicking... I was sure that this was not within the normal working conditions of the hard disk and I was worried about a disk failure!
Each time it happened, next thing was to run a defrag on the HDD and then turn of the computer for about 15min. After that I didn't hear the click for almost a week, sometimes two...I know this is not the solution but I think it helps not to wear down the HDD.
I also don't believe that the HDD will fail because of this anymore.
My little experience on working in a computer company, where we also had to replace notebooks's components, says that if something works you don't send it to be fixed!!!! Trust me on that!
I don't believe sony's fixing lab enviroment is better! Nor the service!
(the last I know for sure!)
Is there any other working solution than sending the vaio back?
Sorry if that was already mentioned before, I didn't have the time to read all posts!
Good afternoon to everyone and don't forget to backup...

You are to lazy to read all the posts, and leave us to do that for you....kinda insulting. Cmon you have a problem, you should put some efford into it. You are having this problem on YOUR laptop not us. You do have time to ask some idiot to do your own job but not the time to read the posts. Time you make, it seems to me you don't really care about this problem and you be rather hearing the clicking sound then reading this thread.

By the way it doesnt matter what you believe is better, what matter is the solution and the solution is somewhere here in this thread. The more you wait the more you will have to read....

if something works you don't send it to be fixed!!!! Trust me on that!

IT DOES NOT WORK DOES IT?

anmcnic33
New

Hello for the last time .

After all that is said our FE11s are out of DATE.

With Due core 2 Or 4 as i know quad,we all need to realise we need to be uptodate.

All that money for something that is obsolete. welcome to bill gates the richest man in the world.

unless you work as as a computer annalist/programmer you are playing catchup.

All the best for the future.

can I get your phone no Caralino?

anmcnic33
New

E not A

Carelino
Visitor

Hello for the last time .

After all that is said our FE11s are out of DATE.

With Due core 2 Or 4 as i know quad,we all need to realise we need to be uptodate.

All that money for something that is obsolete. welcome to bill gates the richest man in the world.

unless you work as as a computer annalist/programmer you are playing catchup.

All the best for the future.

can I get your phone no Caralino?

Why would you wanna have my phonenumber? :laughing: If you were a girl I might have done it :tongue: