Join now - be part of our community!

Adding a Second Tuner to an XL-201

RobMiles
Visitor

Adding a Second Tuner to an XL-201

I've got the XL-201 running Vista mostly nicely, and today I added a second TV tuner. I got an external USB one from Ebuyer for fifteen quid:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/108219

It works a treat. Just plug it in a usb port at the back of the machine and let Vista find the drivers on the internet. Then, when you restart Media Centre it tells you that you have an additonal tuner and gives you the option to reconfigure the TV. Once you have done that it just works.

We can now record one channel and watch another.

I'm not sure if this would work as well with Windows XP MCE, but with Vista it is a breeze. And no need to take the lid off the computer.

This tuner is actually quite nice. It also works on notebooks and seems to give good results, although it needs a good signal, the little aerial it comes with is no good at all.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.en_GB.title
@7908848805001668
Visitor

Rob

I noticed 778 views and not one reply so thought I'd add a bit.

I've split my TV signal (which itself was improved hugely by buying the excellent Televes DAT45 aerial for about £45 - I didn't even have to use the optional extra MRUD plus amp which I bought at the same time - I will use that later on a second Televes which I'll mount in the loft instead of scaring myself silly again on a very high chimney install).

The Y-split is to allow one feed to the TV and another to the 201. Presumably you've done the same for your USB tuner.

My question is from where can you buy a good quality, properly screened splitter. So far, I've amplified and split my signal 10 times and it mostly works fine - just the occasional glitch which I think better splitters will cure.

I was told you can't really split a signal. Well, my experience is try it and see though I think if you're buying new aerial cable the best quality, fully screened (Sat dish type) cable is worth the little bit extra.

AndyR

@7908848805001668
Visitor

It's the bus thing - a third post must be on it's way.

Just remembered reading that the new version (301?) has a twin tuner. I'd like to think about fitting the same one to the 201 becuase, presumably, it'll have correctly fitting fly-leads and external connections.

Any info, anyone?

AndyR

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Not in real need of a twin tuner just yet, having just got comfortable with the 201, but the 301 does have twin tuner card, but I think you still have to split the signal cable to two inputs.

Most interested to read about the freeview feed splitter stuff.

I've tried a cheap Y connector into the TV and 201, and the TV reports no signal, the 201 keeps dropping it's signal. Both devices are fine with the feed straight into them.

I still have the original 1980's aerial on our roof, with a 12 year old booster in the loft. I'll save my pennies for a decent "in loft" aerial and shielded cable yes? Maplin the place to go, we have a big one now in Reading.

Cheers, Chalky

RobMiles
Visitor

I've actually had to give up on my little USB tuner for the XL-201. Not because it didn't work, but because my TV signal in the living room is marginal (due to some naff cable down the house) and it couldn't pull in all the channels that the XL-201 tuner could get. This left me with an interesting problem in that sometimes things went wrong when trying to record one channel and watch another.

I've since fitted the XL201 with a Black Gold tuner that I had in my original media centre, and moved the USB tuner onto that machine. That works very well.

With regard to signal spliters, the local TV shop had a nice metal bodied one that worked fine, but I ended up spending 15 quid on a one in/three out antenna amplifier which looks neater. (at one point I had a daisychain of two splitters to get three signals out of one, which was not pretty).

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Has anyone managed to find a twin-tuner card that fits the XLxxx series of Vaio and that works with MCE XP or Vista?

I'd prefer a card similar to that fitted in the Asus D22 DAV, in other words that only requires the one aerial cable in, and splits the signal itself.

The 301 comes with twin tuners but you need to feed it with two aerial inputs 😞

Cheers

MattWilson
Visitor

Has anyone managed to find a twin-tuner card that fits the XLxxx series of Vaio and that works with MCE XP or Vista?

I'd prefer a card similar to that fitted in the Asus D22 DAV, in other words that only requires the one aerial cable in, and splits the signal itself.

Cheers

It is very unlikely that you will find dual tuners that have one input (they will be more expensive if you do) but ther is no reason why you cannot split the signal with a Y (1 to 2 socket). You will have some loss in signal quality but it will be the same as it internally spliting it.

:slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Usually if you use one or the other it shouldn't really degrade the picture, it's mainly when > 1 person is watching TV this happens.

metcaa1
Visitor

Cheers

Hi,

I have the Hauppague Nova-T-500 which only requires one input for the dual tuner. It was in my previuos media center and I have yet to try it in my vaio as I have the xl301 which comes with two seperate cards. I will probably remove one of them, and install the Nova-T soon, when I have moved into our new house which I am hoping will get better reception when I have the aerial fitted.

Will let you know how it works if I fit it.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Thanks Metcaa1, wonder if the Hauppage card fits the Vaio, it's very tight for space isn't it? Will be patient and wait until you've moved for more info 😉