Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP S350 bluray - unlocking to region free

profile.country.en_GB.title
peshyxp
Visitor

Sony BDP S350 bluray - unlocking to region free

Just tried to play Alien v Predator bluray and so disappointed when up comes on the screen my Sony cant play the disc since it is locked to Region A (USA)

Arrggggghhhh!

Anybody know if its possible to unlock my Sony Bluray Player using the remote?

Cheers

10 REPLIES 10
alexure
Visitor

Yes, it is possible, but you'll need a programmable remote - most use the "one for 3/4/6/all". You can hack it by using the same code as for the bdp-s350. Follow the instructions exactly and it should work - mine does.

Please don't publish any hacking instructions in this forum.

Thanks

Your community team

hardeepr
Visitor

The hack described is only for DVD playback. There is no way to make the sony region free for blu-rays using a remote.

grimreaper68
Visitor

I can confirm what you have advised. This hack changes DVD Region only and not Blu-ray region.

cmtpta
New

so is programming sony bdp s370 to be region free impossible with the sony remote?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, the Sony remote is not a programmable remote, which you need to perform this 'hack'  - Frankly though, if you do not know what you are doing, you should NOT be doing it.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

If I might also add.., attempting such a hack will invalidate your warranty! Best wait until it's expired if you're thinking seriously about doing this.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

I have purchased a Sony BDP S3500 Blue-ray player in the UK. I have several, legitimately-purchased Region 1 DVDs and I cannot play them on this device. Fortunately, I can play them on my laptop using PowerDVD and a small piece of software that renders my DVD drive region-free. My laptop is hooked up to my Sony TV via HDMI, so, effectively I have a region-free, blue-ray DVD player. Since I can do this, what is the point in restricting dedicated hardware to specific regions? It is high time manufacturers removed restrictions from DVD players and there is, here, an opportunity for Sony to become a world leader and to start shipping region-free, blue-ray players. Other manufactures would soon follow. Come on, Sony, prove you are still a world leader in this field, not an ageing dinosaur.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@ken.dearden

I have had this discussion before about region free players and although I'm lead to believe Sony don't actually make them you can buy them if you shop around. Richer Sounds do sell region free Sony players but these are at a slightly increased premium. That said I do agree with your frustrations.

Perhaps next time you're shopping for a BD Player you will remember Richer Sounds.

P.S. I don't work for RS, I just shop there from time to time.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

I am aware that region-free Sony players are available and I know of Richer Sounds. The point I am making is that companies such as Sony need to be forced to manufacture them and that they become the norm. We, as customers, need to bring the necessary pressure to bear on both Sony and other electronic manufacturers to do so and our politicians globally to bring their influence to bear in our favour. It is time to abandon this archaic practice, which serves only to inflate the cost of equipment and media. I am not pursuing this matter for personal reasons, since I have a satisfactory work-around and I use my laptop as a multi-media centre. I believe it is in the interests of consumers to have the flexibility to play media from anywhere. To be restricted in the way that we are is contrary to what we like to call a free democracy. Obviously it isn't - yet.