Join now - be part of our community!

Can BDP-S570 access medici.tv

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alandawes2008
Visitor

Can BDP-S570 access medici.tv

I enjoy classical music and the best online site for showing live and old classical TV broadcasts that I have found is at www.medici.tv which is available in the UK in English although I think it is French based. I am thinking of replacing my existing Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player with the BDP-S570 which has internet access and is supposedly able to access BBC iplayer, if it will similarly access www.medici.tv then that would be the final reason for making the purchase.

Thanks for any help

Alan Dawes

Tags (2)
14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@SERVEURSTUPIDE I didn't look back at all your trying so I didn't check the chromecast options.

Be aware that I removed your personal contact from your reply since it's forbidden by community rules (and not so convenient for you :slight_smile: ).

Regarding the .apk and android compatibility in general, the problem is the TV ... is a TV :slight_smile: : it doesn't support touch for example, so it's up to the developer to adapt it and declare the compatibility to the google store so that it appears directly on your tv google store. Said so you may also try to contact medici.tv to understand if it is in their roadmap to create a version for android TV. Most of the app in any case still continue to work as is, but it is not guaranteed (some do not even install at all)

Regarding .avi , it is a completely different problem related to Sony not supporting (and not willing to pay the fees) DivX since a lot of time (not strictly related to Android). Also here in any case due to the flexibility of the platform you have several options:

• the DLNA server may have the ability to transcode the file to a format suitable for Sony (serviio do that). Having it on a NAS may give you no choice regarding the server though.
  • you may convert the file with several utility, modifying the codec used (i.e. to H.264 or XviD). Long procedure if you have a lot of file
  • You may install a different player that support DivX. Only on Andorid you can do that. Preferred choices are VLC or Kodi
profile.country.FR.title
SERVEURSTUPIDE
Explorer

Dear Roobb

Yes, my address was included by my mailer in my preceding message, It was a mistake, I should have removed it. Sorry for violating the rules of the community and thanks for making the appropriate correction.

As the preceding message, your latest message if full of good suggestions.

- Yes, it would be a good thing to contact Medici.tv to ask them why their site does not work with Android TV.

- Concerning the reason not to declare compatibility with Android TV, personally I do not find the "no touch" argument so convincing: it is easy to add a mouse to the TV set an click on icons or buttons. This sounds like a good excuse. What really matters is the purpose of the application. For instance, I undersand that it is not especially useful to install a GPS on a big  TV set!

- Thanks for the expert info concerning avi files.

- My two Synology Nas are not "DS play" models, and I do not think they can make any real time transcoding. Maybe if I add some software to them, I do not know.

- Yes, I can convert file formats. Personally I use Nero, which I have been using for years, but they may be better solutions. Still, because I have so many files, I would like to try and avoid this operation.

- I did install VLC on the Sony TV, but I do not know how to make it use DLNA and show the media files on the other devices.

- After a few days of tests, my personal conclusion is that DLNA is not a reliable system for a naive user like me. I am a scientist, but not a computer person. The solution to my problem is probably to buy a small WIndows computer in a box, and use it with Windows Media Player (which seems to work all right with DLNA).

Best and thanks again

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's a pleasure to discuss with you.  I don't want to argue regarding android tv differences it's a Google issue :slight_smile: but be sure that is not complex, but not really easy too, cover the possibilities of a tv; even tablet and smartphone are different!

Please do not use WMP!!  If you choose to have a pc doing the dlna server job - as I do even if I have a NAS too - go for serviio  www.serviio.org ; BTW Windows Media Player is not able to transcode your videos, so for you it's useless.

I cannot try Vlc myself but other say that now can access dlna server, look for some server search option. About kodi i'm sure you can

profile.country.FR.title
SERVEURSTUPIDE
Explorer

I did not succeed making VLC on the TV to use DLNA, maybe I did
something wrong? I do not know if VLC has the same features in Androïd
TV and ordinary Androïd.

You are right, Serviio is a nice DLNA server, and actaelly the one I am
using now. I actually tried 4 different ones, WMP (not so bad actually,
it works all right), Plex, Serviio and the Nero Media Home (the Nero
suite includes a powerful file format converter). Serviio seems to be
the best, as you say. T NAS have 2 servers (Synology Media Server and
Plex), and the TV can use several applications, this leads to many
combinations!

But now, after all these differents attemps, I have found a good
solution: KODI on the Sony TV and Serviio on the PC. I can now easily
see all my videos, pictures and sould files through this channel. I gave
up the idea of using the two Synology Nas as sources; too complicated
for me, and I do not want to spend days on the problem.

As for Medici.tv, to watch the concerts I have to connect to it through
my tablet, and braodcast it to the TV screen. Moderately convenient, but
it works. As you suggeested, I wrote a message to Medici.tv, asking why
they do not have an Android TV application, as for instance the Berlin
Philarmoniker.

I have enjoyed this exchange with you, and I am grateful for what I
learnt on this occasion.

Best wishes
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Happy listening!!! it was a pleasure to help you