Join now - be part of our community!

Can BDP-S570 access medici.tv

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
alandawes2008
Visitor

Can BDP-S570 access medici.tv

I enjoy classical music and the best online site for showing live and old classical TV broadcasts that I have found is at www.medici.tv which is available in the UK in English although I think it is French based. I am thinking of replacing my existing Sony BDP-S360 blu-ray player with the BDP-S570 which has internet access and is supposedly able to access BBC iplayer, if it will similarly access www.medici.tv then that would be the final reason for making the purchase.

Thanks for any help

Alan Dawes

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Alan

At present we offer access to the Berlin Philharmonic's archives on all BRAVIA Internet Video devices. http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/the-gramophone-blog/the-berlin-philharmonic-streaming-to-a-tv-near-... . Whilst I can't make any promises, we are always open to new suggestions and so we'll certainly take a look at medici.tv .

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Alan

At present we offer access to the Berlin Philharmonic's archives on all BRAVIA Internet Video devices. http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/the-gramophone-blog/the-berlin-philharmonic-streaming-to-a-tv-near-... . Whilst I can't make any promises, we are always open to new suggestions and so we'll certainly take a look at medici.tv .

Hope this helps

We love (having subscribed to) streaming the Berlin Philharmonic's "Digital Concert Hall."

THAT is great for orchestral music.  But there are ZERO offerings through our Sony Blu-ray player's apps for OPERA.  

SO, please do stop "thinking about"  adding a Medici-TV app, and ADD IT.  I have no idea if there are intellectual property / licensing "issues" you'll have to deal with, and of course you willl have to buy or build the APP for your Blu-ray players. But without this capability, we are stuck watching operas on our tiny PC screen,  while our main audio system and its accompanying HD video projector (2.5 meter wide screen) sits there, unused.

Time to take the leap, Sony-folks. Thank you.

Berkeley Fuller-Lewis

profile.country.FR.title
SERVEURSTUPIDE
Explorer

I just bought a Sony Bravia KD-43X8305, and one of the first things I did was to try to connect to medici.tv. To my surprise, it seems to be impossible, either through the Opera navigator (which, basically, shows little except Sony publicity) or a dedicated application. This is really disappointing, I did not expect this.

Yes, the concert hall of the Berliner Philarmoniket is available, but we like champer music also. There is a lot in Medici that is not available in the concert hall.

To be perfectly honest, there is an inderect solution to this problem: connect to Medici with an Android tablet and cast its screen to the Sony TV. This is not satisfactory, and certainly inconvenient. Why not a direct connexion?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's not the right thread... did you try using Chrome as browser since your TV is android as well as your tablet? In case you don't know how to install the forum is plenty with indication on howto

profile.country.FR.title
SERVEURSTUPIDE
Explorer

Thanks very much for your kind and very prompt reaction!. The tablet is a full Android, but alas Sony's Android is restricted; the application store does not have all the applications that are available in a standard Android. Yes, I tried to install either Chrome or Firefox on the TV (since Opera is really inconvenient), but I do not think this is possible at all. Similarly, I do not think that it is possible to have Flash Player working with the Opera navigator.

Well, these "connected TV"s are very frustrating with all their limitation, which seem to be totally artificial.

Best

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Android tv is indeed  a limited version compared to mobile device but chrome can be installed via a procedure called sideload. You'll need a mouse to use it (either usb Bluetooth or via sony sideview app) and works exactly as the  mobile version. And do not support flashplayer exactly as a tablet or smartphone.

Search the forum or internet for detailed instructions on how to sideload chrome on sony Android tv.

(i.e. https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/opera-browser/m-p/2172731#M43902 )

profile.country.FR.title
SERVEURSTUPIDE
Explorer

Many thanks for the advice. Thanks to you I learnt about sideload launcher, which I was totally ignorant of. Following your instructions, I did install Chrome without any difficulty, and went to the Medici.tv site. Exactly as for the tablet the site proposed to install the medici android application, and I cliked yes. Alas, it did not work, the installation did not take place; it does not seem compatible with Sony's Android. Too bad, I was almost there.

In any case I am grategul since I learnt something! Moreover, now I have got rid of this irritating Opera. Excellent!

Best

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Ok you still have two shots on your tv due to android :slight_smile:

1. You can Install an APK downloaded from internet (you need to Install a file manager on the tv like ES file manager and change the security setting of the tv). It May work or not being not designed for tv.... One example.  http://androidfeens.com/medici-tv-classical-music

2. Looking at the features of the app it seems it supports chromecast....so your tv is a big chromecast, if you have the app on your android tablet/smartphone you can simply stream the content to your tv

I'd suggest the second.

Hope it helps

profile.country.FR.title
SERVEURSTUPIDE
Explorer

Yes, solution 2 is a possibility. It is actually precisely what I did,
as I mentioned in my initial message. It works, but is not terribly
convenient; I would have expected the TV in itself to be able to receive
medici.tv directly (in the same way, I am frustrated to see that the
Sony TV does not read avi files of my NAS through DLNA).

I have installed ES file manager on the TV, I will probably try solution 1.

Many thanks again for your advice! I am very grateful.

**** Removed for privacy *****