Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-SX31 LCD Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dazzerp
Visitor

DCR-SX31 LCD Problem

The LCD screen on my Handycam DCR-SX31 has started to drop out. Seems like a connection problem. Wear and tear on the door hinge. If I open it very slowly I can sometimes catch it in the right postion with it on, but then have to hold it there. If I open the lcd door completely and spin it round it might stay on. It records fine but I can't use the funtions within the screen to delete etc without it coming on. As a result the camera is not much use.

Can I reboot it in someway?

Can this Connection fault be fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi dazzerp, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Most cameras with movable screens use a ribbon connector between the LCD and the camera body. The connector is designed to articulate with the screen but over time, depending on usage, the wires inside the ribbon are prone to breaking. It sounds as if this has started to happen to yours, unfortunately.

It's a relatively inexpenisve repair at a local electronics service centre. Some people consider any repair cost is better put towards a new camera. Others (with some techinical know-how) elect to replace the ribbon themselves; there a a number of DIY videos on the internet and the part itself is usually only a few pounds, but it's quite a tricky procedure.

Hope you manage to get it fixed :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi dazzerp, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Most cameras with movable screens use a ribbon connector between the LCD and the camera body. The connector is designed to articulate with the screen but over time, depending on usage, the wires inside the ribbon are prone to breaking. It sounds as if this has started to happen to yours, unfortunately.

It's a relatively inexpenisve repair at a local electronics service centre. Some people consider any repair cost is better put towards a new camera. Others (with some techinical know-how) elect to replace the ribbon themselves; there a a number of DIY videos on the internet and the part itself is usually only a few pounds, but it's quite a tricky procedure.

Hope you manage to get it fixed :slight_smile:

Cheers

Mick