Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi ac maximum connection speed

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

WiFi ac maximum connection speed

@Kuschelmonschter I'll move it here because we were vastly off topic in the other thread..

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Sorry, just to better understand, how did you get that number?

I thought you were suggesting to check link speed in AIDA64:

Oh, so you get 860Mbps in Aida64 compared to my maximum of 180Mbps? I didn't believe the TV's WiFi was capable of that much bandwidth. It is better than I thought, then. Although it isn't clear why you're capped at around 120Mbps. Did you test it copying some files witha. file manager?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

DLNA via Video app: 7.5MB/s

Same video via Plex: 5-6MB/s. If I pause it it goes to 7.5MB/s.

I don't really understand your measurement here. Both, Video and Plex, will stream at real-time (except to fill the initial buffer). So what you see there is approx. the video's bitrate. You might want to use Jellyfish samples to check the limit.

That's because it's capped. The videos I am using are UHD HDR videos at an high birate. 7.5MB/s  (60Mbps) in some points aren't even enough, they buffer. Using wired, since the bandwidth (in my case) seems to be higher it gets an larger read-ahead.

With Plex is seems to be capped by the CPU as well. I think. That or whatever else, the bandwidth playing the video was always lower. And indeed the UHD HDR demos always buffer with Plex, so much that I use Video/DLNA to watch them and yet I usually get a couple of stutters per video.

With Plex I still get a 30-40% idle time on each core (so "busybox top" says), but pausing it streams faster. I have no idea why it happens.

Quinnicus wrote:

Just be careful on mixing your bits with your bytes.  It helps others on this thread (if reading), if you use the same measurement terminology it may help :slight_smile:

Are you kidding me? I am always careful!

B= Byte

b=bit

B/s= Byte per second

bps=bit per second

I am quite sure I never messed up! 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jecht_Sin wrote:

Famous last words - OK, i grant you one free typo : "link speed of 243MBps" on a reply in this thread  :yahoo:

I was actually trying this last night to see what speeds I was actually gettings - but I have a problem on my TV for the 5GHz band at the moment :cry:

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Quinnicus wrote:

Jecht_Sin wrote: 

Famous last words - OK, i grant you one free typo : "link speed of 243MBps" on a reply in this thread  :yahoo:

Ahhhh!!! I didn't!! Yes I did!! Ow God, I'm useless. I get so angry when people mess up (badly) with this. Although.. well, it was clearly a typo. A double shift. No one ever uses MBps. Hopefully!

Still I am worth nothing and it's time to end my miserable contributions! Where do I have my head? Oh yeah, I know!! I blame the hot weather! You know, I am in Italy. :smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh thats funny - you cracked me up on that reply!!!  - No problema !