Join now - be part of our community!

Youtube and the secondary (but default) channel

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Youtube and the secondary (but default) channel

I ask in here because I have first noticed it with the YouTube suggestions in the television. It was showing all kind of junk. Brainless videos from Italian youtubers, commercials, football!! (Football? What's football? Who ever watches football? Is it a thing? lol).

Now, after sideloading the YouTube app v2.0 update, I realized that it uses the channel with which I created the Google Account instead of the one defined as default (my original YouTube channel later merged into the Google Account). That is defined as secondary in the web YouTube settings. My first channel, the only one I use, seems to give an error.

Anyone has any idea about how to fix it? I see in web YouTube that I may delete this secondary channel (it has nothing but a custom URL), only that I am afraid that later I won't be able to use YouTube at all.

At least now that I played few videos with my secondary account the suggestions o make a bit more sense. But it's very far from ideal.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

Anyone has any idea about how to fix it?

Remove YouTube 2.0 app until its officially available for the TV via Play Store.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I also wouldn't complain on a sideloaded app. You can still revert to 1.3 via Play Store. 2.0 does not give you HDR anyway...

Some users already received 2.0 officially via Play Store. So version should indeed be official but not globally rolled out yet...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

No, no, no. Sorry guys, I have been misunderstood. The issue is (and it has always been) first of all with the YouTube suggestions. The ones in Home, in the first section. It gets them from the secondary YouTube channel (the one I nearly never used before yesterday) instead that from my default channel.

The point is that I like me suggestions in Home. Only that, due to having two channels, I get only crap. They are not really built with my history. Now that I tested few things, forced to use the second YT channel, the suggestions improved already (not the ones in the Discover button, though). Also if with the old YouTube app I click a suggestion (from the second channel) it opens YouTube with my default channel, adding the video to the default channel's history.

Anyway, I believe the issue is related to the YouTube Brand Accounts. My default channel is tied to the old brand account (the one with my hotmail email address. Which disappeared anyway. I see it only there). It would allow me to move it to the my main Google (brand) account, deleting the second channel. While somewhere else I have read a Brand Account may have more channels! So why does it want me to delete it?! Just let me have both and choose the main channel! Stupid Google.

I know, it's confusing. I can't make it clearer because I am still figuring it out what the heck they did!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:
No, no, no. Sorry guys, I have been misunderstood. The issue is (and it has always been) first of all with the YouTube suggestions. The ones in Home, in the first section. It gets them from the secondary YouTube channel, the one I nearly never used before yesterday instead that from my default channel.

I don't think that YouTube recommendations on HOME screen use any personalized information at all. Those have always been unrelated and random for me. This might not change until Android TV O when those recommendations will die anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are right KM.  I made this suggestion about a year ago in regards to the Discover bar.  Probably the same with the suggestions on Home screen too.

Suggestion - YT.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah, that's what I am talking about. I am going to believe it is even more complex than this. The YT suggestions in Home now are all in English (as I like them). And different from the ones in Discover. before they were about the same. Still, the ones in Home didn't change at all after the first change. Even if now I watched few videos with that channel. Making few subscription doesn't change anything either. But it does show a video about a query I made in Google time ago.

Yeah, forget about it. It's messed up. For a change..