Join now - be part of our community!

WiFi ac maximum connection speed

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

WiFi ac maximum connection speed

@Kuschelmonschter I'll move it here because we were vastly off topic in the other thread..

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Sorry, just to better understand, how did you get that number?

I thought you were suggesting to check link speed in AIDA64:

Oh, so you get 860Mbps in Aida64 compared to my maximum of 180Mbps? I didn't believe the TV's WiFi was capable of that much bandwidth. It is better than I thought, then. Although it isn't clear why you're capped at around 120Mbps. Did you test it copying some files witha. file manager?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

866mbps is the maximum link speed of 802.11ac with 2x MIMO and 80MHz channel width over 5GHz. My TV connects at that rate to my AP (which is also a 2x2 MIMO). Usable data rate would be around 400-500mbps at optimal conditions which is not achievable of course as the WiFi chip is connected via USB2. I can pull 120mbps on average from my Synology NAS. Other devices like my iPhone 7 can indeed pull the expected >400mbps at the same distance.

wifi.jpg

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Link speed is determined by signal level/quality. Whether the SoC can achieve that is the other story. Link speed does not take this into account. Link speed is no speed measurement...

I do my local network testing with WiFi Speed Test and Jellyfish samples. Server is a Synology NAS which is connected via GBit Ethernet to my home network.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yes, we are talking about the same indicator, then. My values are totally different. While my MacBook has a transmission (link) speed of 200-300Mbps, the TV, at the same time, today has reached values like this:

Bravia_2017-07 17_13.32.39.png

And now it is oscillating at 90-120Mbps (usually it stays at 1080Mbps, as I wrote earlier). Not sure why some days it must fall down in this way. As I am not sure why the WiFi must connect via USB2! This SoC is a joke.

Anyway, what router are you using? Mine (from the ISP) has little configuration settings, so there isn't much I can do to improve the signal. I know that the WiFi generlly speaking is junk, even worse at a distance with the 5GHz, but to get values like that at a 5-6m. distance, with just a thin wall in the middle, is quite bad. I am quite puzzled about how you get a 5180 MHz frequency, too,.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:
Anyway, what router are you using?

My TV connects to a FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 1750E which is configured as AP/Bridge (not as repeater). It has an exclusive isolated 80MHz channel in the 5GHz spectrum for optimal WiFi throughput. The Fritz connects to my router/switch over GBit Ethernet.

I set up my WiFi with a spectrum analyzer to ensure that all WiFi networks can use full bandwidth. 5180MHz is channel 36. Nothing fancy about that :wink: .

ISP routers typically provide very weak WiFi.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I had the feeling you were using a Fritz Box. I have read good things about it!

Anyway, in the meantime I tried changing 5GHz channel. I choose channel 36 and now the Mac/TV/phone report channel 132 (stupid ISP's router!).. Which is why I have never seenthat frequency before, I suppose.  

The good news is that the tv now shows a link speed of 243MBps. Thus higher (and there it seems to stay!). The bad news is that the Mac now shows a link speed of 162Mbps. Thus lower and also lower than the one of the television!!

Transfer speed copying a file via SSH in X-plore.. Around 2-3MB/s (about 20Mbps). With the CPU 80+% idle. It was 10-12MByte/s via ftpd but Apple removed the server for security reasons (and SMB never worked on OS X/macOS using non Windows devices), so I really don't know what's causing it. 

DLNA via Video app: 7.5MB/s

Same video via Plex: 5-6MB/s. If I pause it it goes to 7.5MB/s. There is plenty of idle time but it seems to me the CPU isn't capable to do the streaming and play the video with Plex at the same time..

And now via ethernet (connected with 2 Powerline Adapters - PLA), it goes even above 12MB/s (with Video/DLNA). No real changes with Plex... At this point I keep it wired.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

DLNA via Video app: 7.5MB/s

Same video via Plex: 5-6MB/s. If I pause it it goes to 7.5MB/s.

I don't really understand your measurement here. Both, Video and Plex, will stream at real-time (except to fill the initial buffer). So what you see there is approx. the video's bitrate. You might want to use Jellyfish samples to check the limit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just be careful on mixing your bits with your bytes.  It helps others on this thread (if reading), if you use the same measurement terminology it may help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

Signal strength -53 dBM @10 ft from WiFi router

Link Speed 866 Mbps

Frequency 5180 MHz

connected on TP-Link Archer VR900, 5 GHz band

Laptop at same distance and with Intel dual band wireless AC3160 @5GHz has a Link speed of 433/433 Mbps

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

MiCal1967 schrieb:
Laptop at same distance and with Intel dual band wireless AC3160 @5GHz has a Link speed of 433/433 Mbps

That's also the maximum, since AC3160 only has 1x1 antenna, so no MIMO like on the Sony TV.