Join now - be part of our community!

Sound out of sync/distorted XH90

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

Sound out of sync/distorted XH90

Anyone have any HDMI sync problems? Have a 65” XH90 connected to a BT UHD box. All was fine.

However the last week sound (only use TV speakers) now crackles/distorts, and goes out of sync.

Switching inputs, switching TV off/on, gets it back in sync. This happens for recorded programs and live TV via the BT box.

However using the TV apps, Prime, Netflix etc everything is ok.

So tried a new HDMI lead, and different HDMI port and the same result.

So I presumed it was the BT box, however just received a new BT box and it’s the same....

So is the TV broke? Why are apps ok, only the HDMI sockets broke?

Anyone anymore help please
Thanks

107 REPLIES 107
profile.country.US.title
Sjones423

.. just checked and yes, its the same software version as you. I'll give it to the end of the week before I look for a refund. Ive had enough of this TV, its the best and worst I've ever owned.

profile.country.GB.title
Beaveros

Press help on remote and then left down u got version.

profile.country.US.title
Sjones423

Yes I've done that. I have updated it already and it didn't work.

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

Updated to new firmware.384. Did a factory reset. Still out of sync on BT box. 

Apps are fine, watched the new aTV+ few episodes and didn’t flinch. 

Been onto Sony who said try something else connected to it!?! I said I’ve replaced the BT box with a new one. I have to send videos

Have a PS4 connected and it crackles/pops as well. Not sure how I’m going to prove the sync issue on a PS4 though. 

profile.country.US.title
Sjones423

Exact same issues as me. Perhaps try a shooter on the PS4 as a gun should sound instantaneously. If not then there is an audio delay. 

The fact that they aren't accepting it as a known fault that they're working towards doesn't fill me with confidence in the slightest that it will get sorted.

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

Good idea will have to try something but I heard the cracklings and also even the menu was delayed when going through checking for updates. But hard to prove that on video.

Also said wouldn’t get back to me until Tues. I think this may be a software issue, can’t imagine this many have hardware with HDMI ports, or then again unless a bad batch of that part?
profile.country.US.title
Sjones423

I keep hoping that its just a mess up on my side with some settings, but I've tried them on virtually every configuration. I wouldn't think bad batch as the first 2 I had were XH92, and the third was XH90 yet they all had the same issue. 

I wonder whether this would be an issue if I connected via soundbar with arc? I'm currently just using tv speakers as I'm having issues with my surround via optical. Still having issues through the tv speakers, mind.

profile.country.GB.title
GreenySCFC

I was having issues with lip sync and built in speaker crackle/popping but I was able to fix it by doing a "forced factory reset"

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00159906

I did this a couple of days ago and it solved my issues. I also had issues with the TV randomly switch off and then back on again which by doing this "forced factory reset" solved also.

Hope this helps 👍

profile.country.GB.title
MrQwerty111

Is this different to a normal factory reset, the one where in the menu you just chose reset and erase?

If so what’s different, was this recommend by Sony?

When did you do this and it’s been perfectly fine since, not one issue?

I’ll try definitely if it will work to save the hassle, but why didn’t the Sony support tell me to try this first. I told them I did a factory reset and erase. 

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Tidypete

I did a TV menu factory reset on my XH90 after experiencing the same audio issues, it was fine for about 3-4 days before the issue started again, would a forced reset fix this? 

I spoke to Sony yesterday and they told me it's a known issue as someone previously posted.