Join now - be part of our community!

Sony XH90/X900h VRR and ALLM

profile.country.GB.title
voodoo_84

Sony XH90/X900h VRR and ALLM

Hi, there are a lot of rumours, including responses from costumer service advisors  and amended webpages that suggest VRR and ALLM support via a firmware update will no longer be coming, can anyone confirm this?

This is my first Sony TV and I can genuinely say communication around well known issues with the TV has been dreadful. 

Thanks

76 REPLIES 76
profile.country.GB.title
voodoo_84

No, agreed,  not a chance they will update the firmware in some regions  and not others. I hope at the very least that page gives us some recourse if they in fact do drop the features. 

profile.country.GB.title
Bob_M81
Explorer

Same here I've bought this tv only because of all the promised HDMI 2.1 futures advertised by Sony to use with my Series X and now they canceled VRR and this is a joke from their side if I woul know that before I will go with CX instead and never bought this tv in my opinion it's ridiculous and now I even can't get it back because I've bought it before Xbox was released to get my setup ready for it! Sony I would like a refund or swap for a HDMI 2.1 TV SET READY !!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
winiarkowy
Explorer

I hope it's only a next delay and not definitely cancellation of VRR and ALLM update in the future. I bought mine XH90 in October in Poland and also especially for PS5 which I own from the very release date and now this...

This table showing features was changed only on the US site probably because in other countries like EU etc. is still showed like the update will be released in the future.

Maybe this (update) will happen at the same time for PS5 later this year? Hope so...

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Everyone

Your remedy in the UK is based on the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.

If you bought these TVs on the strength of a representation from Sony that they would have the features necessary for you to get the full benefit of Sony’s own PS5, even if that was just promised as a coming update, and that update has now been pulled, then you were mis-sold, under both the  ‘fitness for purpose’ and ‘as described’ criteria, and are entitled to return the goods for repair or replacement. But not, curiously, for a full refund, technically.

However, given that repair is inappropriate, and direct replacement is not a remedy, then you should have every right to ask for the set to be replaced with one that does have the promised features.

And while you don’t need to actually have a PS5 to seek redress as above, owning one or having one on order is a powerful indicator that you will suffer practical impairment of your full enjoyment of your PS5 if the TV does not do what was promised.

I would suggest at this stage, you write to the retailer who sold you the TV, and your credit card provider if you bought it that way (even if only for the deposit) stating the above, and asking them to get in touch with Sony to resolve your concerns.

Collective (class) action in the UK is fraught with difficulties; individual action as above is not. And your ultimate redress, the ‘Small Claims Court’ (though it’s called something else these days) is easy and cheap, and the retailers, credit card companies, and Sony, know that.

Not that you can act against Sony, you can only act against the retailer or credit card company; but you can bet they won’t take the hit, and will be on, in turn, for redress from Sony.

So Sony will end up carrying this. But I saw no mass recall in 2015 when the promised recording facilities in YouView were dropped, so don’t rely on Sony stepping up for this issue, unless their arm is firmly twisted.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
bikeeandy

As this is a Sony community website, it'd be nice to think that someone from Sony actually looks at the comments and can give us an official response. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask?

profile.country.GB.title
serg1988
Explorer

I will definitely look into this, as I bought mine from a Sony Centre back in September ahead of the XSX launch. 

profile.country.GB.title
apuk2004

Guys 

Looking to buy a XH92 for £850

https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-38576-sony-bravia-kd55xh9296bu-55-full-array-led-4k-hdr-android-tv.asp...

So are we saying this TV will not be getting VRR and ALLM features even tho it clearly advertises it on that page!?

The deal ends today and I'm tempted but if new models come out this year that have full 2.1 support I'd be really disappointed and will regret buying it.

Also do you know if 2020 models with get Google TV. I have a ps5 and stadia 

profile.country.GB.title
voodoo_84

If you are going to be gaming and are looking for gaming features I would hold off at the moment. If you are using it for movies/Netflix etc it’s still a good set for that price.

profile.country.GB.title
wiggly71

My advise m8 is wait we all was promised it in a update for the xh90 

profile.country.GB.title
bikeeandy

That's what we're trying to establish. A few of the usually reliable online review sites are saying Sony are burying the functionality.

Have just noticed that it's also still on the Sony UK site page for the tv...

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xh90-series/specifications

It's under the 'Features specified in HDMI2.1' With VRR having a note: "VRR will be available via a future firmware update." and ALMM also having a note: "ALMM will be available via a future firmware update.".