Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A8 audio issue (ARC not working)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
chan_2020
New

Sony A8 audio issue (ARC not working)

Hi everyone,

First time here. Recent owner of the Sony A8 55 inch OLED Android TV. Brilliant TV so far.

I am having trouble getting audio out from the HDMI 3 eARC /ARC port. It works perfectly from the TV speakers.

My setup is simple. I have connected the HDMI 3 port to a Denon X3300W AV receiver which is HDCP2 compliant and also has a ARC compatible port out. I have connected rest of my devices namely Apple TV 4K and Fire TV stick 4K to Denon.

I have looked inside the settings of both the TV and AVR and ensured HDMI control is on. I have also disconnected the hdmi on either sides after turning off the sets for one minute and reconnected as per the troubleshooting guide. Still every time I switch on Netflix or Amazon Prime on the TV I don't get any audio through AVR though it is set to receive TV audio.

Interestingly I had a Sony AG8 which was delivered by mistake from the seller which I used for about 4 days. The ARC worked perfect from day one on that set.

Could someone help please? Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

I wonder if your configuration of connectivity is the problem. A first, I had a problem getting everything to work with my new A9 TV and Samsung soundbar, which has an ARC pass-through feature. My initial config was the problem. Here's my successful config:

- HDMI output of Bluray player into soundbar, HDMI1. No direct connection of Bluray to TV.

- ARC output of soundbar into HDMI3/eARC on TV

- Other devices (Amazon Firestick and Freeview recorder) are into the various other HDMI ports on the TV. They aren't connected directly to the soundbar.

Now, when I watch a Bluray, the soundbar picks up the sound directly (it says HDMI1 on the display) and the picture gets passed through to the TV via the eARC/ARC link. But when I watch via the other devices or Netflix or terrestrial TV via the TV's internal apps, the sound gets passed automatically from the TV to the soundbar via the eARC/ARC link. The display of the soundbar says either TVeARC or TVARC.

Although the TV automatically switches on the soundbar and sends the sound to it, it's worth checking on the TV menu to see that it has selected "audio system" and not "TV speakers"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

I wonder if your configuration of connectivity is the problem. A first, I had a problem getting everything to work with my new A9 TV and Samsung soundbar, which has an ARC pass-through feature. My initial config was the problem. Here's my successful config:

- HDMI output of Bluray player into soundbar, HDMI1. No direct connection of Bluray to TV.

- ARC output of soundbar into HDMI3/eARC on TV

- Other devices (Amazon Firestick and Freeview recorder) are into the various other HDMI ports on the TV. They aren't connected directly to the soundbar.

Now, when I watch a Bluray, the soundbar picks up the sound directly (it says HDMI1 on the display) and the picture gets passed through to the TV via the eARC/ARC link. But when I watch via the other devices or Netflix or terrestrial TV via the TV's internal apps, the sound gets passed automatically from the TV to the soundbar via the eARC/ARC link. The display of the soundbar says either TVeARC or TVARC.

Although the TV automatically switches on the soundbar and sends the sound to it, it's worth checking on the TV menu to see that it has selected "audio system" and not "TV speakers"

profile.country.GB.title
chan_2020
New

You are right, the TV needed to be configured to switch to 'Audio System'. I didn't know this had to be set separately. I have run the initial startup and configured the TV to work the AVR then bingo everything is working.

Thanks for your help.