Join now - be part of our community!

kd-49xg8196 unwanted backlight adjustments between scenes

profile.country.GB.title
BJL1980
Explorer

kd-49xg8196 unwanted backlight adjustments between scenes

Model: KD-49XG8196

software: PKG 6.7140.0358EUA

Since our TV auto updated the software recently we have had trouble where the brightness changes between scenes. On bright scenes the backlight will decrease and on darker scenes it will increase, it looks like it's solely a backlight adjustment. We haven't changed any settings and keep the auto contrast off. We usually have the ambient light sensor on but turning it off doesn't fix the problem. Power saving is also set to off. 

After the update we have a message on the tv saying "new features available" does anyone know if a new setting has been introduced which needs turning off or if this is a system bug which will be updated soon?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.RS.title
uthnrh
New

How to Fix Backlighting on Sony TVs (5 Steps)
  1. Power on the Sony television. Set it to a channel with some sort of picture on it. ...
  2. Press "Menu" on the Sony remote control. ...
  3. Scroll through the selections using the down arrow button until you reach "Backlight." Highlight this option.
  4. Use your left and right arrow buttons to either increase or decrease the backlight.

For more granular control, scroll all the way to the bottom and select Advanced Settings. This will open up a menu of sliders, allowing you to modulate brightnesscontrast, gamma, black levels, color and hue, color temperature and more ronhan "20x50 binoculars" reviews

profile.country.GB.title
BJL1980
Explorer

Thanks for the info although I don't think you understood my problem/question.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The effect you are describing, in an edge panel like yours, is normally associated with the auto contrast enhancer algorithm you find in the advanced image setting https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-49xg8196/artic...

But if you says that it is off it could not affect the picture

profile.country.GB.title
BJL1980
Explorer

Yeah “adv. contrast enhancer” is set to off. Which is what makes me think it’s a firmware glitch/bug. We’ve had the tv nearly 2 years and it’s only started doing this about a week ago after the most recent firmware update. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

If you have not done it yet, it may worth trying a factory reset that may fix strange glitches

profile.country.GB.title
BJL1980
Explorer

UPDATE - 

The TV just prompted me to install an update so I am now running:

PKG6.7165.0360EUA

After the update the TV reverted to factory defaults and I had to set all of my custom picture preferences again (luckily I have photos of all my settings).

I had hoped this would mean an end to this glitch! but sadly not. It's still doing it although now button presses don't respond as quickly as they used to! arrgghhhh why did I buy an android TV, I don't use any of the smart features anyway.

Please fix this Sony and make my TV useable again

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Android TV never reset to factory by itself, you should have some problem with your specific set.

profile.country.GB.title
BJL1980
Explorer

Ok I don’t think it performed a factory reset, what I meant was after the most recent update it forgot my custom picture settings and I needed to re-input them. The slow response has now corrected itself so it was probably just slow while the tv was performing background maintenance etc.  

I have now performed an actual factory reset but this still hasn’t fixed the problem. Is there a procedure to roll back to a previous firmware version which I know was working correctly so I can check if it’s definitely a firmware issue or if it’s a hardware issue?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No way to rollback. You may want to share your picture and advanced settings on the TV just to double check them