Join now - be part of our community!

No Preferred Satellite option.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
markcallen
Explorer

No Preferred Satellite option.

I have a KD55XF9005 that works great - but my experience is not the same as the guides I find online for setting up a satellite.

My objective is to get the Tivusat channels using hte integrated decoder. I have the Cam and registered card and the dish is installed correctly.

Everything works - when I do a full scan, it pulls nearly 2,000 channels of (mostly) stuff I don't want. The Tivusat channels, Rai1 HD for example are there and show (demonstrating the card and Cam are working correctly too).

My issue is how I select only Tivusat as the provider. My understanding is that I select 'Preferred' satellite when tuning, but I'm not presented with this and it goes straight into full scan and dumps everything in the 'General' satellite list.

If I select 'preferred satellite' as the input, it says 'no channels - click to setup'. Which takes me back to the main digital tuning setup pages.

I really don't want to have to sift through 2,000 channels to remove 1,950 of them every time I do I an update scan, a bit of me will die each time.

If it makes any difference, the cable from the dish is plugged into the 'Main' satellite input. The 'Sub' is not connected to anything. The Cam is inn place and if I remove the card, encrypted channels become unavailable (as you would expect).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
markcallen
Explorer

Hi all,

Thanks for your help - a combination of all that information has helped me get this sorted (I think!)

The issue is unquestionably related to the location. I'm in the UK - detected by the internet connection.

I disconnected the internet and did a factory reset - skipping the Wifi connection and Google account sign in during setup. I set the location to Italy and when tuning the satellite then got the Tivusat option for tuning the preferred satelitte.

After that completed, I reconnected internet, signed in with my Google account and it seems to have picked up some the UK apps etc again (e.g. BBC iPlayer), whilst preserving the satellite channels correctly.

Not sure if the TV has updated the location (don't know where to see that) - and what material difference it would make (our UK connections feed through HDMI or are internet based, Netflix, iPlayer etc).

Not sure if a rescan on the satellite is required whether it would work as expected again, but I'm not playing with that now - we'll wait until it is necessary and cross the bridge then.

Shame location settings aren't more easily edited (unless I'm missing something?) - or that satellite preferred options can't be selected by first selecting country during the setup - there's probably licencing reasons for that, but I don't know.

I understand my objective is probably niche, but for ex-pats, I suspect it is very common.

Thanks again for all your input and hopefully the explanation here is useful for anyone that has a similar issue. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@markcallen tivusat is an italian service . You'll find plenty of information on how to set it up in the italian community.

profile.country.GB.title
markcallen
Explorer

Thanks @rooobb. I think the fact that it is Tivusat is incidental and I provided that to give context. It could be any provider and my issue would remain the same.

I have nearly 2,000 channels, but I only want a subset of them - from a preferred provider. I don't have the option to do that like I would on any other decoder. I don't understand why and how to make it work.

Thanks again for your input.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I have not a satellite to play with but you may have useful hint by @Flamerone or @Charly410 in the community. You have also the option to use Sony channel editor to edit your preferred list of digital and satellite channels

profile.country.IT.title
Flamerone
Expert

@markcallen where do you live? Because the tvsat option may be appear only if you set your tv in italian country and italian language. Otherwise the tv skip this service to generic satellite with all the 2000 channels! However you can partly solve this problem creating your preferred channels list where you will put, manually, all the tvsat channels.

PS. Often tvsat change channels frequency or PID and you could rescan all the channels sat e rearrange your channels list even if you have activated the automatic channel sat update in the android tv configuration.

PPS. As rooobb says you can use the sony channel editor to change/create channels list.

profile.country.IT.title
Charly410
Contributor

@markcallen 

Hi, I need to know if you have a single or double LNB. TVSAT scan is performed through "scansione di rete" "network scan" this in order  to have an arrangement of the channels according to a chart with definite numbers (Rai 1, Rai 2, etc...) If you do this operation in a different way you will get all the channels ordered according  to their frequency.

@Flamerone talks about Italian initial configuration of TV set and I agree of course.

Here enclosed is a photo of the Italian configuration.

P_20200510_121305_vHDR_On.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
markcallen
Explorer

Hi all,

Thanks for your help - a combination of all that information has helped me get this sorted (I think!)

The issue is unquestionably related to the location. I'm in the UK - detected by the internet connection.

I disconnected the internet and did a factory reset - skipping the Wifi connection and Google account sign in during setup. I set the location to Italy and when tuning the satellite then got the Tivusat option for tuning the preferred satelitte.

After that completed, I reconnected internet, signed in with my Google account and it seems to have picked up some the UK apps etc again (e.g. BBC iPlayer), whilst preserving the satellite channels correctly.

Not sure if the TV has updated the location (don't know where to see that) - and what material difference it would make (our UK connections feed through HDMI or are internet based, Netflix, iPlayer etc).

Not sure if a rescan on the satellite is required whether it would work as expected again, but I'm not playing with that now - we'll wait until it is necessary and cross the bridge then.

Shame location settings aren't more easily edited (unless I'm missing something?) - or that satellite preferred options can't be selected by first selecting country during the setup - there's probably licencing reasons for that, but I don't know.

I understand my objective is probably niche, but for ex-pats, I suspect it is very common.

Thanks again for all your input and hopefully the explanation here is useful for anyone that has a similar issue. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@markcallen i can only speculate on this... probably is the tuning app that check the country, once it has setup the channel data it doesn't matter anymore where the signal is delivered. And again, probably, if you do a rescan you'll have again the problem (I would unset also the automatic service update)

profile.country.IT.title
Charly410
Contributor

@markcallen 

Hi, to get TVSAT the satellite dish must be directed towards Hotbird at 13°.

I do not know your system but I think should be directed towards 2k Astra (English channels), so to get Italian channels you must have a double LNB. I can help only if you provide me this information.

profile.country.GB.title
nevol.dom
New

Can you help me with the technical know how on IT programm. I would like to be a programmer.

Thank you

Nevol