Join now - be part of our community!

How really slow is Android TV?!?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

How really slow is Android TV?!?

I was really so sick about reading complain about "how bad is Android TV" and as matter of fact "how sloooow is it" that I decided to spend few minutes to record the main operation done on my TV (or at least the ones I use more): I don't feel they are so sllw at all!

I would like that someone could make the same recording with a different TV set just to compare how much Tizen, WebOS or Firefox are really Faster.

Please do not blame the image quality of my TV: I did not spent time setting correctly the camera (a Sony CX280 obviously :wink: ) so the autofocus was not able to adapt rapidly to the different lights on TV at each moment. I can assure image quality is really wonderful!!

Updated on Oct 2nd 2019: Oreo version

61 REPLIES 61
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It says 16 hours

20191002_184122.jpg

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

So it restarted by itself in standby.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

or maybe my daughter did :wink: 

in any case with my average use is more than one week

profile.country.NL.title
pa3eia
Expert

@rooobb 

After a "powerreset" is it 0 minuts/hours.

73's

I don't know everything, just trying to help you!!!
Thanks about the Kudos!!!
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Did you see a big difference on the same use case comparing it to the A1? You tv spots a faster mediatek chip and more RAM so it is faster for sure

profile.country.GR.title
Lefteris21ps

i had a1,2 months now i have the af9,i buying sony tvs from 2005,this is the first time i saw perfomance update,its really fast,no bugs,no no reboots no nothing ,its really worth the money,on i have always 1500 mb ram free

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:

or maybe my daughter did :wink: 

in any case with my average use is more than one week

BRAVIAs do reboot in standby every now and then. I don't know whether it crashes during one of the tens of wakeups at night or whether those reboots are forced to mask long-term issues.

I thought about it for a long time and I had to find the time to do it, but in the end I did it trying to replicate the same use cases but using Android TV Oreo. Below the result.

I still think it is biased in some ways...

• You are starting YouTube from the background (at least you state that it has been preloaded). I use quite some apps (Netflix, Prime Video, Zattoo, Kodi, YouTube,...) and most of the time, when switching to another app after some time, it starts from scratch as it has been killed in the background due to RAM shortage (or because the TV has rebooted in standby). So most of the time you have to wait 15s for YouTube to load. At least Prime Video shows a full boot (~10s) as it cannot be backgrounded at all.
  • You are only showing a short cutout of 2160p60 playback within YouTube. If you let it run a bit longer you will certainly see the dropped frames counting up, especially when navigation menus which is quite laggy while playing 2160p60. There is also frequent microstuttering (VSync issue) which however isn't something one can judge from the video as display and camera are obviously not in sync anyway.

I do agree however that things improved quite a bit with Oreo. Sony removed quite some bloat. Prime Video is finally usable and also 2160p60 playback in YouTube has improved quite a bit even though it is still not as good as it used to be with YouTube 1.0.

i had a1,2 months now i have the af9,i buying sony tvs from 2005,this is the first time i saw perfomance update,its really fast,no bugs,no no reboots no nothing ,its really worth the money,on i have always 1500 mb ram free

Performance-wise it's gotta be better, I give you that. But it is still a friggin MediaTek chip. Still suffers from a dozen of wakeups per hour, passthrough via eARC is broken as hell, VPN still causes crashing...

profile.country.GR.title
Lefteris21ps

Still suffers from a dozen of wakeups per hour--never had this problem in  this tv

passthrough via eARC is broken as hell--never had this problem with sony dh550

VPN still causes crashin--never tried

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@Lefteris21ps  schrieb:

Still suffers from a dozen of wakeups per hour--never had this problem in  this tv

You probably don't recognize with the way you use your TV. The display itself stays off. Only the processor wakes up. Connect a power meter. More about the issue plus side-effects here.

passthrough via eARC is broken as hell--never had this problem with sony dh550

See here for example.

Your AVR is ARC only and you are probably not using the feature at all? People with an AVR typically use external playback devices?