Join now - be part of our community!

How really slow is Android TV?!?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

How really slow is Android TV?!?

I was really so sick about reading complain about "how bad is Android TV" and as matter of fact "how sloooow is it" that I decided to spend few minutes to record the main operation done on my TV (or at least the ones I use more): I don't feel they are so sllw at all!

I would like that someone could make the same recording with a different TV set just to compare how much Tizen, WebOS or Firefox are really Faster.

Please do not blame the image quality of my TV: I did not spent time setting correctly the camera (a Sony CX280 obviously :wink: ) so the autofocus was not able to adapt rapidly to the different lights on TV at each moment. I can assure image quality is really wonderful!!

Updated on Oct 2nd 2019: Oreo version

61 REPLIES 61
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

TV enthusiast without a TV...

IMG_2186.jpg

Currently more into going out. Probably have to thank Sony for that ^^ .

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Good choice 😁
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

This Magic Remote thingy is indeed BS, like all air mice. It's a dead end. Like Samsung's late gesture control. And you don't actually need it. webOS is perfectly suited for d-pad navigation...

profile.country.GB.title
suuntobob
Explorer

Looks good to me, get my Af8 on thursday , can't wait!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I could now test an ATV2 based TV (XF90) and it is indeed quite a bit quicker compared to ATV1 even though used CPUs would not suggest that. Also when playing high bitrate HEVC/VP9.2 HDR streams, CPU usage is way lower.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I thought about it for a long time and I had to find the time to do it, but in the end I did it trying to replicate the same use cases but using Android TV Oreo. Below the result.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Can't watch the video. Says it is private.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter  it was blocked due to copyright claims by Amazon, I'm blurring the movies shown

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The video has been updated to ensure copyright fulfillment

Android TV Oreo version is 6.6510.
Compared to Nougat, it seems to me slightly faster on the smart tv section, apps (especially Prime Video) much better and overall more consistent.
TV was not in deep standby, not reset since few weeks.
The camera could not render the HDR video shown, but you can appreciate the screen uniformity on grey area (even if it is not "banding free" at lower IRE)

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@rooobb  schrieb:
TV was not in deep standby, not reset since few weeks.

You can check uptime via Settings > About > Status.