Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 doesnt connecting to 5Ghz wifi

Ahmad_abed86
Visitor

Xperia 1 doesnt connecting to 5Ghz wifi

I've got Xperia 1 and it didn't connect to my 5 Ghz wifi!!!! 

Could anyone please help me! 

19 REPLIES 19
Ahmad_abed86
Visitor

Nunosen2 you can turn the wifi on when you activate the airplane mode try it it'll work! 

RuneJ
Contributor

Wifi onboard airplanes are getting pretty standard/popular these days, so I assume wifi still works fine in airplane-mode. As well as Bluetooth.Smiling_Face_with_Sunglasses

SAWIG
Visitor

I have had issues with my device also connecting to 5GHz network. I ended up switching my router from a tri band to individual 2.4GHz and dual 5GHz. And now I only connect to 2.4GHz.
I could connect to the 5GHz unlike what you are experiencing but the performance and rang was very poor. Seems to me either the firmware for the WiFi receiver is poor or the actual device/antenna is poor. I have complained about the lack of WiFi scanning and auto connecting almost since I have recieved the phone. I had an older Moto Z3 that had better WiFi performance.

RuneJ
Contributor

My phone connects everyday to different locations with Google Wifi, Cisco and Ubi 5Ghz wifi-points with no issues or poor coverage whatsoever. -It automatically connects to each as well when I turn on the Wifi on my phone.

Troubleshooting like suggested in this thread will often pinpoint the culprit, even perhaps easiest to just blame the phone and hope for the best.Smiling_Face_with_Sunglasses

SAWIG
Visitor

I have used both Asus and Belkin/Linksys routers similar issue with 5GHz. 2.4GHz obviously has better throughput and I fully understand that. It just seems like the phone has difficultly with 5GHz. I worked as an RF engineer in PA design, I fully understand how hardware works for wireless communication.

Test to RuneJ is leave your WiFi on and see if it always reconnects for you. Within WiFi preferences what do you have turned on/off? What 802.11 standard is your router? My phone seems to be hit or miss some days and I have to toggle the status.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

The problem here seems to be the 5ghz frequency, the router, and its delivery.

So the phone does accept 5ghz connections just fine, so that would appear that there is something wrong either with the router or its delivery of the 5Ghz.

I would reset the router, and seperate the 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies with new passwords, and SSIDs'.

And check and possibly change the channel for 5Ghz, that can cause issues.

Airplane mode is really just a simple shortcut so that ALL 3 radios are off, so if you switch wifi on, Airplane mode is off for network and voice, but wifi will be on, it's nothing more than a shortcut.

RuneJ
Contributor

The really strange for the original poster is that the 5 Ghz network is only visible and able to connect when in airplane-mode.

But if problem persist from XZ Premium as well, the wifi router is the natural point to look more detailed into.

As RottenFoxBreath suggests; verify router setup and also check settings like control-channels, channel-bandwith, etc.

Regarding keeping wifi on and just wait to the phone is within range for a known network to automatically connect, it ist strongly advised to not do this as it is a known exploit. When wifi enabled on phone and set to auto-connect, the phone will broadcast/ask for the network name continuesly and can be tricked to connect to a malicious network with the same name. Typical man-in-the-middle scenario.

Always turn off wifi when not required.Smiling_Face_with_Sunglasses

At home and work the wifi is set up in mesh-configuration, and moving between different access-points keeps a stable 5Gghz wifi connection.

Sandello
Visitor

I've just faced the exact same issue.

I have 2 sony phones (xz and xzs), 2 laptops and asus router. Laptops can connect to 2.4 and 5 GHz networks without any issues. Sony phones don't even see 5 GHz networks.

I found out with wifi analyzer app that my router works on channel 100 in 5GHz. I switcher channel from Auto to 56 and now Sony phones are able to see and connect to 5 GHz networks.

EssFew1
Visitor

I have a Sony Xperia L1 and the Wifi connection is 5 Ghz and keeps dropping out every few minutes. Does anyone on here know how to turn the 5 GHz radio off and just use 2.4 GHz?

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Your device when a sim is inserted will use the channels according with the MCC(Mobile Country Code)

So find out what they are, and set the router accordingly.

seperate ssid's, seperate channels, don't overlap, etc, etc..

And see if you can download a wifi analyzer app from Play store, to see what's being broadcast.