Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 - Amazon Prime Video cannot download in 4K, ONLY 1080p!

GT90
Visitor

Xperia 1 - Amazon Prime Video cannot download in 4K, ONLY 1080p!

Hi Sony,

I've gone into the Amazon Prime Video app and selected the UHD section and downloaded a couple of shows.

When watching these shows, it states that it is showing at a 1080p resolution and not the 4K resolution. I also cannot see any HDR available titles under each of the titles.

Who else is having this problem?

9 REPLIES 9
Chippy_boy
Visitor

Yes, me.

Axcel
Visitor

Confirmed.

Chatted with Amazon support and the agent said they have no restrictions. If there is no option for 4k download then it means we can't get 4k. The agent suggested to contact Sony.

But I do think Amazon, like Netflix has a list of compatible devices where it allows it and it could just be, this phone isn't supported yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@Axcel wrote:

Confirmed.

Chatted with Amazon support and the agent said they have no restrictions. If there is no option for 4k download then it means we can't get 4k. The agent suggested to contact Sony.

Seems that, that particular support agent doesn't know what they were on about..

I feel it's as you said, Amazon , like Netflix has a config list that approves certain stream settings.

profile.country.GB.title
Hun_Bela

Same here, had the same problem on my Sony 4k player, it had to wait for an update like a year after release to start streaming 4k hdr. It's the same on the phone. At the release of xz premium Amazon's 4k was the highlight. Netflix fallowed with hdr later. Now Netflix and the 21:9 content is the highlight. Amazon should fallow later. But they should be clear about it. I loved 4k content from Amazon on the xz premium. It was a great showcase as well. Now the only source is YouTube...

profile.country.GB.title
Sensination
Contributor

So basically the only way to get 4k content is YouTube and Pirating...WOW!

SergeOvD
Visitor

Same problem, Amazon support tell me that Xperia 1 is not in their list of devices with 4k support

Fezo2
Visitor

I have the same issue but funnily enough my 2 year old xz premium will play in 4k so it can't be an issue with specs

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

You will have to badger them to add it.

Beastkut
Visitor

Still doesn't support 4k 😤