Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 camera and Cinema Pro apps

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Xperia 1 camera and Cinema Pro apps

I love my phone however:.

On the normal camera app and Cinema Pro: The promised filming (video mode) in 21:9 aspect ratio ( and feature the main reason why I got the phone) is not there.

Cinema Pro HDR won't turn off either.

Have a really weird issue that I cannot install Netflix, even on a hard factory reset phone and first app o download.

Not one single YouTube video plays in 4k, they all play in 1440p and Amazon prime video is full hd only.

I suspect the camera app 21:9 is s ork in prigress and soon to be added after an update?

Xperia 1 on Vodafone contract.

Can a Sony rep please help me?

Apart from the above issues I love the device.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Update your apps.

Netflix issue has a workaround posted in another topic,.

YouTube after last app update shows 4k option

And cinema pro only records in 21:9, and HDR is always on in order to capture the video in 10bit and apply a LUT on the fly.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Cheers for that buddy, appreciate

UPdate youtube and got netflix up and running -cheers.

However with regards to cinema pro, HDR MUST be taken off as OIS does not work with HDR on ANY mode or application (Cinema pro or normal) this has also been documented on many reviews. So if i want to use Cinema pro and have stabilisation on then HDR needs to be turned off.

HDR or Stabilisation on cinema pro or normal app

Fully manual mode in normal camera app, cannot swap lenses.

So Sony must fix things:

Either update the phone to use HDR AND OIS stabilisation, or allow us to turn off HDR in Cinema pro as well as normal camera app.

Great phone and I love it, however i still feel the camera applications are a work in progress.

Benchcaz
Visitor

"Great phone and I love it, however i still feel the camera applications are a work in progress."

I agree with GilgameshUK. For those of us who harness our passion and enthusiasm for making creative content with mobile devices, we need as much flexibility and all of the options to play with. This is where our creativity comes out to play. Manufacturer's restricting our choices, will not do well for the creative output, and therefore for the company.

The camera is great, and gives some nice images, but inflexible at the moment.

I hope sony will listen to it's creative users and help us harness the phone's capabilities for our projects.

Thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Agreed with the above. 

Nathaniel
Visitor

I emailed Sony Support re camera issues several times, after multiple generic replies I was told, "the camera is meant for casual photographs only", strange as Sony advertise it as their best camera ever in a smartphone ....

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

That is bad customer service

I think you got that reply as you had a poor customer service agaent reading from a script,

unlike people like us who know our stuff

Axcel
Visitor

I just have to express my disappointment with the Camera and Cinema Pro apps.

My daughter graduated from preschool today and I wanted to record her class performance for this special occassion, a short 6 min video.

Cinema Pro app, 3 to 4 mins in or so.. shutdown because it over heated. Really Sony? So missed the remaining minutes Slightly_frowning_Face

Then switched over to the regular camera some times later to do video recording  of her walking up to get her class certificate, and it would stutter and freeze and of course close on its own.

Love the 21:9 form factor, but these camera apps, over sharping, over heating, instability,  and saturated colors is not anything customers should be paying high dollars for and overall totally made a father's moment un-enjoyble to capture a precious life moment.

Great marketing but over promised, under delivered even for something like this, I would consider casual.

profile.country.GB.title
martin868

Why so Sony cameras offer PAL frame rates, yet their phones don't?

3/4 of the word use Pal framrates in broadcast TV and there's good reason for this, so why are pal countries forced to shoot video in ntsc frame rates?

Flickering Street lights is one big problem in pal 50hz countries when shooting at 30fps 

pressefr
Contributor

@GilgameshUK wrote:

So Sony must fix things:

Either update the phone to use HDR AND OIS stabilisation, or allow us to turn off HDR in Cinema pro as well as normal camera app.

Great phone and I love it, however i still feel the camera applications are a work in progress.

I would suggest to email your suggestiona directly to developer.world@sonymobile.com