Join now - be part of our community!

Does Xperia 1 not support the Xperia Transfer Mobile or Xperia Companion?

Zackbuks
Visitor

Does Xperia 1 not support the Xperia Transfer Mobile or Xperia Companion?

I can't think of Sony's cost savings to such a point, even the most basic change assistant function has been canceled. Now I can't use any software to copy the content (so many precious photos, videos, music) and contacts, schedules, etc. on my old phone to Xperia 1. Whether it's Xperia Transfer Mobile or Xperia Companion, they all don't support it! Whether it is as big as Apple, Samsung, Huawei, or as small as One Plus, Meizu, they are trying to improve the basic function of the replacement assistant, you even cut it! Dare to ask how the continuity of product use is reflected? Since you rely on Google so much, do you just do Pixel directly, and what else does Xperia do? #Xperia1 微信图片_20190613231423.jpg

微信图片_20190613231427.jpg

微信图片_20190613231429.jpg

微信图片_20190613231431.jpg

22 REPLIES 22
zero_vertical
Visitor

Just watched my wife update her samsung galaxy s7 to 9 (6 mos ago) and this past weekend to an s10.   her apps, wallpaper, literally everything synced.   She was off and running in less than an hour, with all android patches and everything.  Phone is a hardware gorilla, and looks dead sexy.    But I'm a nonconformist.

I am an xz1 compact owner, and loved the form factor, high end hardware in a small phone etc.   I surrendered, and after the last compact line was cancelled, resigned that I needed a larger phone.  Figured I'd stick with Sony given their hardware to date.   Off we go.  Spent a grand on an x1.

What a failure.   I couldn't back up my xz1 compact on the companion (multiple failures, have fun googling that, software is a disaster, works for no one), but bought the xperia 1 anyways.   Transfer app doesn't work, companion does't work, and if you search hard enough, sony will officially tell you to use GOOGLE to do their work, or an SD card.  No app layouts, wallpaper, home screen or other settings come along.   

So, ahh,

F this.   I'm going to replace the screen on my X1C, or get a pixel.   $1000 phone, and Sony can't figure out how to get its existing customers back online quickly.   How are they going to attract new customers if they can't even get their own base working easily?   I saw blackberry shoot themselves in the head.   I won't hang around to watch Sony do it.   

Idiots.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

There are easy ways to back up/restore things, backup and restore photos from Google Drive, you can use a file manager to back up apps that can't be downloaded from the Play Store, or indeed apps from the Play Store(I  know, I restored my apps from the store, all 220+ of them), and a simple sync set up the phone whilst on first boot/setup....and finally, you could always just plug both phones in to a pc, and drag and drop folders/photos/videos, etc.

It's kind of a non issue, really.!

profile.country.SE.title
Busmusen

Just make Xperia Transfer available for this phone, I'm stuck where I can't get my messages back bcs I choose to set it up as a new phone, xperia transfer would solve this

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

There are apps on the Play Store that can assist you, but you won't get all the texts back, only some, as some are "different" in a way, Google changed(RCS/Enhanced message) a while back.

You might be successful, although you might get all your texts back as one long text, which contains them all, as some apps act this way.

I've got 1 text conversation which contains 3 years of texts from all my contacts, it's just the way it happens.

The only other way is rooting the phone, and retrieving them via that method, but again, not all can be backed up/retrieved.

You can use the apps to back them up to a gmail account, and can read them that way, but again, not all will be seen/backed up/ able to be restored.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Hey @Busigamusen

Did you try Xperia companion on your PC?

Maybe that solves your problem.

profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

Hi @Strampke ;

It seems that Xperia Companion doesn't support backup restore on 2019 Xperia devices: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperia-companion/

profile.country.SE.title
Busmusen

Hi

Yes I tried, it's not supported

It's simply ridiculous. Sony is saving money on the wrong side, and exactly such stuff is driving people to Apple and Samsung because they want an easy way to transfer their data and not having to buy online store from Google or a SD-Card or loosing all datetime information on all files when copying via PC.

Apple is doing it very right and even Samsung with all their horrible apps and software has made a good transfer tool in the meantime!

Very very sad :(.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Don't panic, there is another approach.

Google has improved it's backup and restore lately and now this has been adopted by Sonymobile as well.

You can read a how-to here.

Hi Strampke,

that still doesn't copy my data via cable or Wi-Fi, does it?