Join now - be part of our community!

Android 10 Killed My Playlists and music mistaken as video

MeowYip2015
Visitor

Android 10 Killed My Playlists and music mistaken as video

After my Xperia 1 upgraded to Android 10, I found Music app keep crashing upon checking playlists and songs data. I checked with other music player apps, and found all playlists became empty. I deleted my 3000+ library of music and re-synced to phone from PC, and the empty playlists problem remains, with a bigger shock that all music in .mp4 format disappeared in Music app, but show up in Photo album. Android 10 is no longer able to disdinquish audio and video mp4 files, only .m4a files are treated as music, and all .mp4 files treated as video, so all went to Photo album.

Another Android 10 incompatibility is with the Media Go app for Windows PC. Android 10 can't recognise the .m3u format playlists created by Media Go, which will show up as empty content. And since Media Go will convert .m4a files to .mp4 when sync-ing with the phone, all songs in .mp4 format will be treated as video files by Android 10, and will only show up in Photo album, not treated as music anymore.

Any solutions for us music lovers to manage large amount of song files and playlists? With some 3000+ songs I can't add them to playlists one by one on the phone. Creating big playlists with the computer is still the easiest way. I think Media Go should be upgraded for Android 10 as soon as possible, but I heard Media Go is a discontinued product. And I don't think Google Cloud can manage large amount of media files which will keep us wait for ages.

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

You could check the naming convention and see if you can edit it based on the reply in this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/dmjlt0/playlists_for_music_are_broken_after_android_10... 

MeowYip2015
Visitor

It means Android 10 is making smartphones not smart anymore, consumers must DIY alot.

A patch file update should be the solution.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

A problem with the SD card can cause trouble as well.

You can 'clean' the music app.

Goto settings -> apps & notifications->Music->Storage-> clear cache & clear data

The app will build the playlist by itself and hopefully it will do so in a proper way.

MeowYip2015
Visitor

Before I call for help, I have already googled and tried all available DIY solutions. They never worked. So I'm here.

I still suspect Google Android team got too many stupid tech guys pretending smart. And they made the smartphones go stupid.

smiddy539
Visitor

I am having the same problem with a Samsung S10 Plus. I have all my music as MP3 and use Windows Media Player Playlists. Since going from Android 9 to Android 10 I have had nothing but problems. My images from my camera storage were missing in the Gallery App but they were safely still in the folder when i searched though my files. For a second I thought they were deleted. I then realized some of my albums were cut in half, where I would see two albums in my library (Samsung Music App) with tracks, for example going 1 2 3 4 5 6 on one album and the 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 on the other album. It was showing two of the same albums just split. 

Then i saw my new nightmare. My playlists said 0 tracks on all of them. I deleted the SD card. Reformatted it. factory reset the phone. Synced with windows media player. deleted that. did a file to file copy from the computer using a file transfer (not WMP). I tired using the phone storage vs the SD card. EVERYTHING. I even tried fiddling with the playlist files changing them to wpl or m3u or pla. NOTHING WORKS.

My wife has a Samsung S10 as well. She is running the Android 9 version still. I tried using Windows Media Player to sync a playlist and it WORKED 1st try. 

Android 10 is the problem. How do we get in contact with someone about it? THey have to already know right? 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Leave the SD card out and see how it behaves.

@smiddy539you already did and it kept behaving bad.

In my case a new SD card brought relief.

smiddy539
Visitor

Yes I tried it without the SD card. When I factory reset the phone, the first thing i did was sync to the phone memory while leaving the SD card out of the phone. Didn't work. 

MeowYip2015
Visitor

Thanks but we are talking about sync-ing media files from computers to phones. The playlists created by PC apps is incompatible with Android 10. I read that Google changed the syntext of playlists, so only making playlists inside the phone works. I tried making playlists in the phone manually and it works, but I searched through folders and can't find the new Android 10 playlist file, it's not .m3u anymore I think. I googled and read that file paths of song files in Android 10 playlists is different from Android 9.

Me and smiddy539 tried to sync large amount of songs and playlists from PC to phone, in my case I have some 10 playlists with 3000+ songs, too much to create playlists with the phone itself.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Can this post bring some relief?