Join now - be part of our community!

Z5 Duel E6683 - Keeps locking during use

Matt777
Visitor

Z5 Duel E6683 - Keeps locking during use

Hi All,

My Sony Z5 Duel E6683 keeps locking the screen whilst in use.

Typically I'll be typing an SMS or message and the screen will turn black and requires the power key press or code to unlock. It then resumes the app I was using. 

I have all Apps up-to-date and am running Android 7.

Sometimes pressing the power key does not work and the screen remains black. I then have to tap it rapidly and this enables the camera, which I can then exit from to resume my normal use.

I have tried a software repair via the PC companion and the fault remains.

Anyone faced this issue before.

5 REPLIES 5
Jonas
Master

Hi @Matt777, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

Based on troubleshooting that you have already done it does sound like it is related to hardware.

After the software repair was completed, did you restore a backup directly to the phone or did you wait and used the phone without restoring the backup for a while?

If you did restore the backup directly, try restarting your phone in safe mode and see if you experience the same behaviour when third party applications aren't loaded.

If you are, your phone will need to be examined at an authorized service centre and your Local support team will assist you further.

Let me know how it goes!

Matt777
Visitor

Hi Jonas, 

Thanks for your reply.

I have run every diagnostic test and think I have found a problem with the proximity sensor. 

When I run the test and move my hand over the sensor, the test turns from off to on.....so far so good. When I remove my hand, the test shows still shows on....! Is this normal, or should the sensor show off when the hand is removed? 

If the proximity sensor is the heart of the problem is it likely to be a hardware fix or software bug causing the problem? 

Any help would be fantastic 

Matt

Cjk
Visitor

I have the same problem but mainly during a call. I can't use loudspeaker or even end the call. The power button does nothing and I have to activate camera to free up the screen.

I hope someone can help soon!

Cjk
Visitor

I did the test and the proximity sensor makes the phone vibrate the whole time without my hand being near it. 

Jonas
Master

Hi again @Matt777, thanks for the great information.

The proximity sensor should be turned off once your hand is removed in the test, however the proximity sensor is only active during a call and in your case this occurs outside of calls so there is something else that is the cause of this.

In this case the only recommendation I can give you is to have the phone examined at an authorized service centre. Please let them know about the proximity sensor so they can take a look at this as well.

@Cjk, sorry to hear about this.

Do you have a screen protector or a case on your phone? If the sensor is covered by either of those or if there is any dirt/moisture on the sensor, you will experience this behaviour during a call.

The sensor is placed at the top of the phone, next to the Sony logo and on the link below you will see where it is located exactly (number 4 is the proximity sensor).

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiaz5/userguide/overview---se/

Make sure that nothing is covering the sensor and use a dry cloth to wipe it clean from any dirt or moisture and do the test again in Diagnostics.

If there is no change, try rebooting your phone in safe mode and do the test again when third party applications aren't loaded.

Let me know how it goes!