Join now - be part of our community!

Refurbished or repair check?

YellowWhatever
Visitor

Refurbished or repair check?

I'm wanting to buy a z3c, as they can be had for cheap nowadays and it seems like a pretty neat little device for the price. (and for the price, there's nothing really else like it on the market)

Though Sony assured me that if I managed to find a new z3c, that it'll be covered under warranty. Now, what qualifies a new D5803 to not be covered under warranty? I doubt that I'll get any warranty off a 'new' device from ebay, but I'm curious as to what qualifies a device to be covered if, in fact, new.

And now the main point, is there a way to check if a device has ever been repaired, opened, refurbished, or tampered with? If they're selling it to me 'new', I'd like to at least know, that if it's just a second hand device, that it was cared for and they didn't have to go about replacing half of the phone.

I know of the pressure check, but that can be hit or miss, as I've seen some people repair their device and seal edges and stuff to help it keep being water proof.

12 REPLIES 12
YellowWhatever
Visitor

Quick update; Had the phone laying on a mousepad on my desk and I pressed the bottom corner to see how much the screen moves to get back into place (which looks to be less than 1mm), turned it around and now there's a crack along the back just below the sony logo. It's in a case and everything.
What?
It doesn't even span all the way to the sides.Just there in the middleJust there in the middle

Screen coming undoneScreen coming undone

VivaVav
Visitor

Hi,

I'm trying to understand if my phone is really new ore refurbished; exactly what do you have to do to dial SERVICE?

VivaVav
Visitor

Thanks, I figured it out: it was simpler than i thought.