Join now - be part of our community!

No 4K option on YouTube App on Xperia Z5 Premium!

profile.country.GB.title
GreyFoxIndy
Explorer

No 4K option on YouTube App on Xperia Z5 Premium!

Hello everyone, I have got the Sony Xperia Z5 premium and I am trying to watch 4K videos in the YouTube app, I have enabled the filter to find 4K videos, which I know definitely run in 4K on a desktop computer, however I don't have the option to change the resolution to 4K within the YouTube app, it only goes up to 1080p. Is there any solution for this?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
33 REPLIES 33
krishnanr
Visitor

Same here.

But I downloaded some 4k videos and I can see through that.

sajkhan
Visitor

Hi. From where?
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@krishnanr

If you have 4K videos you will be able to enjoy them at full 4K, as for streaming 4K that depend on the streaming site (amazon, youtube, etc) not Sony. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@GreyFoxIndy

It has been asked before, it's not a Sony restriction but Youtube

benchong05
Visitor

There are many nice 4K video on scenery in YouTube, just download them in 4K resolution and you should see the 4K beauty when you playback in your Z5P. :smileysmileythumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

I thoroughly recommend anyone with a premium gets "tubemate" via a Google search...
kiikooo
Visitor

I wanted to download tubemate but honestly not feeling comfortable with all the permissions.

Spinworkxroy
Visitor

Unfortunately i also can't find a workaround for this.

Some have suggested to use a Samsung or LG youtube 5.9 to make it work but i can't even install the apk on the phone.

I also have the z4 tablet which has a 2k screen and that one, there's a 1440P option in youtube for me to choose from.

I also checked the youtube app version and it's identical to my z5 premium..so for some reason, the app is able to detect or black 1440p videos on youtube. it's not an app version issue, there's something else in play that prevents playing higher than 1080p from the z5premium

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Your phone is 1080p or 4k, there is no 2k on this phone and that is the maximum YouTube allows on mobile, it's also a limitation in lollipop, 4k is simply not supported.
Sony deal with this by having a system app (album/video) bypass the limitation and load up their own resolution.
snapdragon810
Visitor

of course no 4k in youtube for your premium. dude your screen is in 4k. what you expect you gonna watch double 4k videos? so when you watch any video up to 1080p you will be actually watching it in 4k cuz of your display so yea there is no 4k in youtube but in my compact i have the option vuz my screen is smaller