Join now - be part of our community!

I have four Xperia z5 compact, now all overheating

UGLYDOLL
Visitor

I have four Xperia z5 compact, now all overheating

Ever since the latest update, all four of my Xperia z5 compacts (one in each color) are now running much hotter and slower. Forget taking quick photos of children... Or typing quickly on the keyboard ,
Two are from Hong Kong, two from the UK.
What's happening Sony?
(I have a 5th one from Japan, docomo version, and it's fine...most likely because they are so slow to update, so it's still on an older build number).

The 253 update on z5c needs to be fixed, I had zero heat on this phone before.
Sony, do you plan on fixing this?
22 REPLIES 22
YoGem
Leader

Does the same happen to the fabulous four also in safe mode?

olesya1
Visitor

mines is the same with overheating too much, battery life is extremely bad etc.etc. etc. I really wish people would stop asking if it's the same in safe mode,it has nothing to do with it and yes its the same in "safe mode" it's the recent  upodate that has messed up the phones and it cant be fixed until another update has been brought out which will probably be next year. 

YoGem
Leader

Sorry but I have to correct you. Safe mode is a great way to see if something abnormal is running in the background as in that mode no autorun occur, basically only the needed services are executed.

If you have a single app running and keep crashing or its stuck the cpu usage will remain active and will provoke decreased battery life and the cpu may overheat. In safe mode, unless you run an heavy and cpu intensive app, for normal usage should not drain too much battery nor heat too much. If then the device, instead, overheat and drain battery also in safe mode you can safely assume:

1) it's the os, corrupted and need a software repair,
2) it's hardware and you need to contact local support.

If during safe mode, hopefully, everything run smooth then it's time to reboot and doing app hunting searching the app that is disrupting operations. Finding the right app can be tedious so many users prefer to do a software repair anyway and to install one by one every app they used to have and checking for problems with battery and heat.

Do you see now the importance to do things step by step?
olesya1
Visitor

again its nothing to do with safe mode or apps, its the recent update of the OS which i have already repaired and does not fix the problems, there are lots of threads all over the place regarding this issue. I know you're probably trying to help but its really frustrating having a phone that is unusable and someone says "have you tried safe mode" when there are loads of threads and people having the same issue because of the recent update, it brings nothing to the table at all.

Thanks

HQ85
Visitor

Same issue. This phone really is bad to the core. Any idea if there is an app that can limit the cpu or the hardware without rooting? Stamina mode helps slightly but the no vibration for my notifications are a hassle. Hope sony can look into this asap. I always fear that it will be like the exploding samsung galaxy s7.
cdamian
Visitor

I also have two Z5 compact, both with the same issue.

UGLYDOLL
Visitor

Hello sony,

worldwide, everyone who has Xperia Z5 compact now has to deal with poor battery life and huge heat issues whereas before the last update there were none.

When are you going to address this?

The device is only one year old..., is this going to happen in one year on your new releases?

Instead of remaining silent we would appreciate somebody trying again to your devoted fans here on your official website.

( and no this is not isolated incident so please do not ask me to do a repair or some sort of reset...

I have z5 compact in every color color from various Parts of the world and all 4 all have exact same issue, as does pretty everybody else here, with the exception of your Japanese docomo customers who are far behind with the update cycle)
Rickard
Master

I'm sorry to hear that Slightly_frowning_Face

When the phone gets warm and uses more battery than normal, this is usually caused by something running in the background using cpu, gps, data etc. Without more information from your phone i'm afraid it's hard to say what it could be. If possible, could you take a log from your phone and send this to me and i'll forward it internally to see if it can reveal the cause?

To do this:
Settings > About phone > Build number, tap 7 times on the build number
Go back to Settings and select Developer options and turn on "USB debugging". Then tap "Logger buffer sizes" and set this to "4 M".
- The next time you notice the phone is slow and has been using more battery than normal:
Settings > Developer options, select "Take bug report". When the report is ready (may take a minute or so) you get a notification that you can tap and share to Google Drive. Please send me a link to this file in a private message.

After taking the log, could you also try what @YoGem suggested? With safe mode you can test if the cause is something in the phones firmware or if it's caused by a downloaded app.

DarkOmegA
Visitor

I am experiencing a lot of heat and my phone becomes extremely slow when I'm using it more heavily, like Pokemon GO. After a few minutes of playing all the faster cores are shut down, and the 4 little cores are running under 1 GHz... Of course this means I experience very poor performance.

Is this normal? Or should I return my phone? Is the Z5C not capable of running such "heavier" apps by default? I cannot try these things out in safe mode... 

Also I have tried running the Antutu benchmark and it gets much better results if I run it while it is cool, if I run it again right after the first test the result is a much lower score. Can you please confirm that this is ok and this is how the phone is expected to work?