Join now - be part of our community!

Dual SIM card problem, SIM 1 not working properly

SOLVED
misstigrie_87
Visitor

Dual SIM card problem, SIM 1 not working properly

Hi everybody,

I have a Sony Xperia Z5 Dual since August 16. I have a problem since approx. one month : the SIM card 1 is not working properly.

Sometimes, I can use it for a while, and it suddenly gets deactivated because the phone doesn't recognize the card anymore or says that there's no card in the tray. Sometimes I already have problems when I turn my phone on, I'm not asked to type the pin code and the SIM Card is disabled, and sometimes the card is detected and I'm asked to type the code, but when I type it nothing happens.

I tried to exchange both cards and the problem is the same. The cards work perfectly in other phones and in the SIM tray 2.

Should I send my phone to customer service ? I bought it on the Internet on a foreign website as dual sim phones don't exist in the shops my country, so it's quite complicated...

Thank you for your help

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jonas
Master

Hi @misstigrie_87,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly_frowning_Face

It does sound like it's hardware related since the phone doesn't recognize the SIM card at times.

Before sending the phone in to an authorized service centre, I would recommend that you try and perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, just so that we can rule out that this is caused by the software in the phone.

Do note that this will delete all data stored on the internal storage in your phone so creating a backup using Xperia Companion prior to starting with the repair is advised!

If there is no change after the software repair has been completed, please get in touch with your Local support team and they will be able to provide you with information on how to proceed with getting the phone repaired, and if it's possible do so in your market!

Let me know how it went! Slightly_smiling_Face

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Jonas
Master

Hi @misstigrie_87,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly_frowning_Face

It does sound like it's hardware related since the phone doesn't recognize the SIM card at times.

Before sending the phone in to an authorized service centre, I would recommend that you try and perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, just so that we can rule out that this is caused by the software in the phone.

Do note that this will delete all data stored on the internal storage in your phone so creating a backup using Xperia Companion prior to starting with the repair is advised!

If there is no change after the software repair has been completed, please get in touch with your Local support team and they will be able to provide you with information on how to proceed with getting the phone repaired, and if it's possible do so in your market!

Let me know how it went! Slightly_smiling_Face

misstigrie_87
Visitor

Hello Jonas,

Thank you for your answer. I tried doing a software repair but actually my phone is working less good now. And the problem with the SIM Card 1 is not solved.

I will have to send the phone to customer care. I tried to contact the vendor but for now there's no answer. 

I live in Switzerland, do you know who I could contact to use my guarantee and repair my phone? I'm also able to go to France if needed.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Best regards

Jonas
Master

Thanks for the update!

I was afraid it was hardware related and not software. Slightly_frowning_Face

I would recommend that you get in contact with your Local support team since they are the experts on your market and will be able to provide you with the information you are looking for!

I hope that everything will be sorted out as soon as possible and let me know how it went! Slightly_smiling_Face

Andrew_atw
Visitor

I have a faulty/malfunctioning Sony Xperia Z5 Dual sim phone which I bought outright on 24 October 2016. The problem is that the phone is killing the SIM cards after going thru many hot re-boot cycles.

However, the smartphone is working perfectly in wi-fi mode only (obviously without the SIM card). All apps and system files are up to date and the phone was factory reset via the Sony PC companion software.

My questions are:

1. Why the Sony diagnostic software cannot clearly identify the problem instead relentlessly reporting hundreds of nonidentifiable system in identify?
  2.   Does Sony have a record (or at least is interested) on what the problem is?
  3.  Who is fixing the phone if I needed to return it to the phone seller?

On a few occasions, I contacted Sony regarding the issue but left without any real/helpful answers.

Considering Sony’s (including its resellers) ineffective technical support, I am not surprised that sells of its mobile products is in decline, despite having technically great/advanced products.

profile.country.US.title
Qatrium
Expert

@Andrew_atw

This can be a hardware issue that needs to be inspected by a professional. Personally, I never saw this issue before or saw someone else reporting it. Your best choice is to contact your Local support especially if your are still in the warranty period.

Andrew_atw
Visitor

Sony was contacted, but was insisting on resetting the phone using PC companion software first. As I was on holidays this was not possible for a few weeks. Anyway, the reset did not resolve the issue.

Regardless, my question remains: Why to give Sony access to monitor/report on any issues with the phone if this cannot be of any help to me or Sony?

Phone diagnostics was reporting multiple System incidents between each reboot that could not be linked to any specific issues. Am I missing a point here?

In my opinion, it should be very easy, on those rare occasion, for Sony to provide message: HARWARE FAILURE. SEEK SERVICE instead meaningless SYSTEM INCIDENT error messages.

Andrew_atw

Jonas
Master

Hi @Andrew_atw, I'm so sorry to hear about your phone. Slightly_frowning_Face

Have you tried using the phone with just one SIM card mounted or tried with 2 different SIM cards?

If you have and there is no change I agree with what @Quester wrote. The phone needs to be examined by a trained technician at an authorized service centre.

As far as I know the diagnostics service in the phone is mostly used to test certain functions in the phone such as ear speaker, microphone and so forth and will tell you if an application is acting up so you can see that on your own.

I will make sure to forward your feedback regarding how to make the Diagnostics service even better in the phone and I thank you for providing me with this information!

Before know what is not working as it should with the phone it's hard to say exactly what is not working, but it does sounds like it's related to hardware based on the troubleshooting you have already done on your own.

Your Local support support team will be able to provide you with specific information regarding which service centre(s) that are being used in your area/market and they will gladly assist you with any questions that you may have when it comes to warranty, local service routines and so forth.

The software repair is something that we always recommend and this is done to rule out that this is caused by the software in your phone since it will be reinstalled when the repair has been completed.

Let me know how it goes and best of luck with the repair!

Lizzie1
Visitor

I have the same problem and have noted that dual sim wont work if both are set on LTe/scdma/gsm

The settings only allow one slot to be on that setting and will automatically change the other slot to gsm only.

in that light, only one sim (either A or B) can functioned at any point in time. and not both working.

I find this silly as all network in australia works on LTE. Hence, the fact that i both a dual sim capability mobile at a higher price, when only one is functioning is very disappointing. 

Is there any solution to this? both of the sim network i utilized are big ones, Vodafone and Optus.

Jonas
Master

Hi @Lizzie1,

The Dual devices in the Xperia Z5-series only supports one LTE and one GSM network, however Xperia XZ Dual, Xperia XZs Dual and Xperia XZ Premium Dual all three supports one LTE network and one 3G/WCMDA network at the same time (only one SIM card can have access to mobile data).

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question and If I did, please let me know!