Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia XZ have metal frame or polycarbonate?

SOLVED
Tadija
Visitor

Xperia XZ have metal frame or polycarbonate?

Sony please tell me whether xperia xz has a metal frame or is it some kind of plastic? Thanks. 

Xperia X Performance not have metal frame, frame is made of polycarbonate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Christofer
Champion

Hi all, I received information today that the frame of Xperia XZ is made from nylon.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Christofer
Champion

Hi @Tadija,

I will try to get information about this.

profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

It's all metal that is called Alkaleido(TM) Winking_Face

YoGem
Leader

Alkaleido aka Aluminum! Now let's see if my chemistry and mechanical engineering lessons are still in my brain..

Alkali-aluminium-anodized. It may fit, probably treating it as an "anagramma" can become alkaleido which in my opinion is just anodized aluminum treated with a coating of alkali making it hygroscopic yet not corrosive (sodium -> alkaline -> wet + alkali = no corrosion)

absorbing moisture (no fingerprints Yey!!!), anodized aluminum is "di per se" waterproof (hence the return of IP68), it won't feel cold as a typical metal, it may be used to dissipate internal heat (like a big peltier cell?) it is a conductor so maybe reception may be improved (is Sony using the entire body as a big antenna?) so.. It make sense... Gosh, it's going to be expensive just for the body :-s

YoGem
Leader

Last minute thought: If my blah blah above are just minimally correct, it is not going to be a problem as it may be not permanently scratch proof, and a minimal scratch over time can get rid of the coating and it's properties, in the long run it may provoke some corrosion which may be just a minor aesthetical annoyance...

With some pressure it may bend, so I believe that they built around the body, in the inside, some sort of frame to protect the body from losing its shape...

... Gee I wish I could read a teardown... Now I am curious Face_with_stuck-out_Tongue
Alessio_841
Contributor

Hi Tadija,

Unfortunately, the Xperia XZ doesn't have an aluminium frame, but PLASTIC (polycarbonate) one (including the bottom back strip).

This choice is inline with the new approach of Sony to contain the financial losses of the mobile sector. So, Sony give us devices (X line) not premium as the Z line, with production costs lower but at the same commercial prices of Z line devices, to improve the individual return and maximize profits (with products not premium as Apple or Samsung).

For me, this is an uncorrect approach of the company to us costumers, but the XZ remains a very beautiful and impressive device either for the hardware, software optimization and smart implementation than for property optical technologies.

I report you also two links where you can read the same words I have write.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-xz

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz_preview-review-1493p2.php

I hope this will be useful for your question and for all other that have the same curiosity.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

You do realise, the internal frame of all Z models (excluding Z1) was polycarbonate too...

The XZ is no different than the Z range in that it has a metal outer shell attached to a polycarbonate internal structure. If you knew much about plastics, you'd know polycarbonate is definitely one of the strongest materials and is more rigid than aluminium of exact dimensions.
In fact, not too many of these "metal bodied" phones use a complete metal chassis.
azzido
Enthusiast

Agree,
too many cuts in X series helped me to skip it, but with XZ they seem to partially be back on the track with quality of components used, but unfortunately they are cutting the features (Radio, small apps, Stamina widget, no fingerprint sensor in US etc). 

+ X compact is really no longer smaller flagship so it does not deserve its current price (strangly it has Radio...). 
It gets mostly bad reviews and opinions on the Internet so I wonder how it will sell. 

XZ seems to look better on specs, but they need to improve the soft to boost the sales + advertise it to attract new customers. 

The time will show. 
XZ looks promising and gathering some attention. It is all now in Sony's hands what they will do to keep or even increase it. 

Nuno_sf
Visitor

And no lanyard support 

Alessio_841
Contributor

Viridis,

All devices of the Z line had metal frame outdoor and polycarbonate indoor but Xperia XZ has the frame in plastic and only the back in metal Alkaleido; let's see various reviews!

I have studied a lot of different material features and the polycarbonate remains a plastic material, never similar to aluminium. The only two advantages are:

1) lower costes than the aluminium;

2) little higher permeability to radio signal.

Polycarbonate is a kind of plastic, but it is not premium as the aluminium and has not the equal features and behaviuor of the metal one. But, if Sony wants to compete against Samsung and Apple and chinese brands, it would return to use aluminium and leave the external plastic.