Join now - be part of our community!

Major Problems with Email Client of W580i

Not applicable

Major Problems with Email Client of W580i

Hello, I am new to this community and I am here because of the problems I experienced with my W580i today and yesterday.

Yesterday I finished setting up the phone's email client and got it working but then the trouble began.

I went to my 'Inbox' and chose 'Send & receive' to download emails from the server and after few minutes I got the result -- 300 (if I recall) unread emails. 50 of them were displayed on the first page and all had yellow closed envelope tags. Now the problem was that actually all those emails had already been read using my laptop's email client but that's just the beginning. So, I read all those messages again (yes, I know I can mark them read one by one), which took some time.

But after that I still had 250 or so "unread" emails, so I chose 'View older' to get rid of all unread emails and obviously had to download all those messages, which takes about 5 minutes alone. Here's where it got really bad. I had noticed that it was possible to mark messages but when I hoped to mark all 50 messages together and 'Mark as read' I found out for my sadness that it is not possible to mark more than one message read. Thing is that group of marked marked messages can be marked for deletion but not marked as read. That meant I had to mark all 50 messages on the page as read one by one and that takes about 4 minutes when you do it fast. Now that's bad but it got much worse...

(Also a note that messages that were on 2nd and other pages weren't tagged with yellow envelope but grey one and I think they had to be downloaded again to open after clicking them, which differents them from the yellow ones, which can be opened straight away. At least it seemed to be so.)

So, I went on to next page (, which obviously meant I had to download all those messages) and marked those as read but soon I realised that messages marked as read on previous pages will automatically be unread again when you go to next pages (select 'View older'), which is obviously very annoying! Well, I am not the type who would give up, so I tried all kind of things like choosing 'Send & receive' again and starting from the last page of "unread" emails, which meant 6th page. I had some luck with the latter as when I had marked last (page 6) 50 messages all read one by one and went on to 'View newer' (page 5), those messages had still remained read and number of unread messages had decreased by 50. So, I was quite hopeful and went on to next page ('View newer' again) and number of unread messages was 200 (wow) ! But after managing to deal with all those messages on the page and going on to next page number of unread messages had automatically gone up again.

I was obviously rather sad now as my plan didn't work but still didn't give up. But fortunately/unfortunately my suffering was finished as I ran out of credit (I'm using pay as you go service), which is probably quite obvious after downloading pages with 50 emails many times. Anyway, that's the worst thing that could happen to me as I had just topped up my mobile 2 days ago and I normally manage at least 2-3 months with one topping up! As I am poor at the moment I can't afford topping up again so soon either. Plus I have spent many hours on this annoying thing yesterday and today (because I had to repeat the steps I mentioned above, battery ran low etc.).

Now, my first question is whether there is any way to avoid that kind of trouble and somehow get all messages read?? My experience shows that it doesn't seem to be possible.

Secondly, maybe just maybe only way would be to delete all those so-called unread emails? But then I would get them again when choosing 'Send & receive' to get new emails?

Thirdly, I am so disappointed that I would like to get re-imbursed by Sony Ericsson but that's probably unthinkable as you didn't make me use the email client...

Now you might think it's a huge rant but I am also hugely disappointed, so please try to understand.

Thanks for reading,

driv4r

14 REPLIES 14
Dr_Chris
Champion

In your email settings, do you have the option to download new emails only? Are you using a POP server to download your emails?

Not applicable

Hey, I don't have that kind of option and yes, I am using POP3 server as Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) doesn't have IMAP4 server.

Dr_Chris
Champion

The problem with the POP servers is that, unlike IMAP servers, they tend to be indiscriminate and download everything whether it has been read or not, on the root server.What other options do you have in your phone's email settings?

Not applicable

Nothing that would help me to be honest but I list them for your interest:

Account name, Email alert, Connect using, Email address, Connection type, Incoming server, Username, Password, Outgoing server; Advanced settings: Your name, Signature, Download S&R, Check interval, Push email, Allow connection, Copy outgoing, Encryption, Outgoing username, Outgoing password, Incoming port, Outgoing port

Only one that is at least slightly useful in my case is Download S&R, which lets me limit the size of emails.

Anyway, could you answer my questions of the first post too?

Dr_Chris
Champion

Well, if you don't want to keep downloading and reading the same emails again and again, I suggest you delete them from the root server, i.e.,sign into your Hotmail account on your PC and delete them from there.Unfortunately, you are limited by the type of account (POP) you have and the available options on your phone.Alternatively, you could access your Hotmail account using your phone's browser, without using the email client.

Not applicable

I have 16255 emails in my inbox altogether and I wouldn't like to delete them because of my phone. So, I was right in presuming there is nothing to do with my phone to get it sorted and deletion wouldn't help either as they would be downloaded again next time?

Yea, whenever I have used my mobile to check email I have always used the browser before (though rarely) but I decided to try out the client yesterday and thought that it would be more comfortable but I guess I was wrong and now I am obviously bitterly disappointed Slightly_frowning_Face

Not applicable

Any response from Sony's staff?

Not applicable

Well, I guess that's a no and Sony Ericsson don't care about the problem nor their clients or they just don't bother to reply.

Jeff
Enthusiast

Hi,

Dr_Chris is correct in his response. This is the function of a POP3 client and the way it functions on a mobile e-mail client.

I didn't realize you were looking for extra confirmation from us, sorry for the late response!