Join now - be part of our community!

How to Kill a Process or Application

Not applicable

How to Kill a Process or Application

Situation: Second day of owning X8.  So I'm downloading some Apps and one of them took forever, the download arrow was showing activity all through the night.  (I was on WiFi)

This morning, I pull down the Activity bar and see that the phone thinks the Download is still continuing.  I couldn't see anyway to force quit other than turning off the phone.

So, how does one Kill an Activity, Application, or Process in this Android system?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
KrazyD
Contributor

Well the Android system automatically closes apps that aren't required anymore and also if that happens again you can disconnect from wifi and it will fail.

Not applicable

Hey @MackeyBloom, this happened to me at the very beginning with my X10. Please search for Advanced Task Killer in your Android Market application to be able to close all the applications that you don't use and you can clear the memory of your phone without having to restart the phone.

sushidushi
Contributor

... but if you do be very careful what you kill.  I used to have the ATM app, but was scared of it, so I deleted it. I also understand,  for the reasons KrazyD set out, that it isn't that necessary on Android. There are different views.  By the way,  when you get 2.1, there is a section under tools showing what is running and from which you can close background apps - at least there is on the X10.

Not applicable

Hi There...

there is an option in settings in which the wifi connection is automatically turned off if the phone gets screen locked. so i think this problem of yours about the downloading continued till morning might be coz of that, the wifi must hav got turned off and when u unlocked the screen it might have started again.

and about killing processes u can download an application call advanced task killer..btw there is no need for it as android automatically closes applications once the new program needs memory so it has auto optimization.