Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 II wireless charging stopped working!

SOLVED
profile.country.NO.title
JohnnewArchibald
Explorer

Xperia 1 II wireless charging stopped working!

I got my Xperia 1 II about two or so weeks ago and I have used my Samsung wireless charger with it ever since however just 2 days ago the wireless charging stopped working on my Sony phone.

I tried to use a different wireless charger, did not work, so I tried a different phone on the wireless chargers to see if they were broken but no they work.

I tried restarting my Sony phone multiple times to see if it would start charging wireless but nothing.

I then tried to charge my phone fully via cable and let it run a few percentages down to 95% and then try wireless charging.

Everytime I put it on a wireless charger, the charger itself blinks a little suggesting its struggling to make a connection, then the phone tells me to make sure there no objects between the phone and the charger, there is no case on the phone and I tried with the case but nothing makes a difference. 

Its a shame because I use wireless chargers in my home and my car all the time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.NO.title
JohnnewArchibald
Explorer

It has turned out that the "Custom Battery" setting in the battery menu was the culprit, this is an AI driven solution to let the AI handle what apps gets to run in the background or not based on your usage.

However somehow the AI must have messed with the wireless charging because when I turned it off it will charge just fine but with it on it drains the battery faster, it went from 60% to 20% while on the wireless charger with this very setting turned on.

But turn it off, everything works perfectly, I have notified Sony customer support about my issue and they will hopefully forward it to the developers to look at the issue.

I will leave the solution here for anyone in the future with similar issue to look at.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

By any chance are you using the stand type Samsung chargers? Mine failed to initiate charging as the coils are too low.

Test by putting the center of the phone over the direct centre of the charger, if it works, it's that the charger coils are too low

profile.country.NO.title
JohnnewArchibald
Explorer

I have now tried 3 wireless chargers, multiple different positions and so on, two different brands and the one Samsung I mentioned earlier, the Xperia fails to initiate wireless charging.

It seems to be a problem solely with the phone. 

As my other phone works fine on them, but the Xperia 1 II wont initiate at all, I even tried to disable all battery optimisation and battery saving tech, restarting several times and still nothing.

I have a slight suspicion that the connection for the charging coil inside the phone somehow fried themselves. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Time to contact Sony support.

Find it in the support app.

You can chat, mail or phone.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Absolutely as @Strampke said.

Time to get it either looked at, or replaced if retailer rules allow 

profile.country.NO.title
JohnnewArchibald
Explorer

It has turned out that the "Custom Battery" setting in the battery menu was the culprit, this is an AI driven solution to let the AI handle what apps gets to run in the background or not based on your usage.

However somehow the AI must have messed with the wireless charging because when I turned it off it will charge just fine but with it on it drains the battery faster, it went from 60% to 20% while on the wireless charger with this very setting turned on.

But turn it off, everything works perfectly, I have notified Sony customer support about my issue and they will hopefully forward it to the developers to look at the issue.

I will leave the solution here for anyone in the future with similar issue to look at.

profile.country.GB.title
MorrisG
Explorer

I have the same problem. The phone is just weeks old and has been charging wireless every day. Suddenly it has stopped. What can I do to fix this?

profile.country.NO.title
JohnnewArchibald
Explorer

My answer to the problem was literally provided in the reply above yours.

profile.country.GB.title
MorrisG
Explorer

Hi, Thank you for your response. I have already seen your answer but I am not familiar with the term AI. I charged my phone yesterday using the Sony USB charger and now the wireless charger seems to work again. It would be good to know what you changed in settings so that I can understand for the future. 

profile.country.GB.title
Hartside
Explorer

mine has the same issue as you had , only your fix does not work for me, multiple reboots , all battery saving section turned off , it initiates on the wireless charger but after about 10 seconds it flashes Qi on the screen then comes up with the centralise phone message box , starting to annoy me now 😞 no case and centralised 3 different wireless chargers , same issue