Join now - be part of our community!

Why is it my sony cdx-gt540ui only turns on/off manually?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dbf1990
Visitor

is there away to conect it to my car ignition         

so that it turns on and off without me having to do it manually    

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi dbf1990,

Your radio definitely has the facility to do this, but this will depend on the car and whether it has a switched feed or not - in other words a wire that supplies 12 volts only when you switch on the ignition.

On the plug that goes into the back of your unit there are wires of various colours.  The important ones in this case are the red and yellow.  The yellow would normally be connected to a permanent 12 volt supply (this is what makes sure any radio presets, clock settings etc are not lost when the unit is switched off).  The red can be connected to a switched 12 volt supply that is only live when the ignition is on.  You will notice part way along both the red and yellow wire is a connector - on some cars the permanent and switched 12 volt supply are reversed.  So the connector is there so that you can switch these two wires round i.e. red to yellow and yellow to red rather than matching.  You can do no harm by trying each version, but one of the options would make sure that memory presets etc stay stored and the unit switches on and off with the ignition ... but as I mentioned at the beginning this all depends on whether your car has the 12 volt switched feed from the ignition, and not all do.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Drumzman
New

Hi dbf1990,

Your radio definitely has the facility to do this, but this will depend on the car and whether it has a switched feed or not - in other words a wire that supplies 12 volts only when you switch on the ignition.

On the plug that goes into the back of your unit there are wires of various colours.  The important ones in this case are the red and yellow.  The yellow would normally be connected to a permanent 12 volt supply (this is what makes sure any radio presets, clock settings etc are not lost when the unit is switched off).  The red can be connected to a switched 12 volt supply that is only live when the ignition is on.  You will notice part way along both the red and yellow wire is a connector - on some cars the permanent and switched 12 volt supply are reversed.  So the connector is there so that you can switch these two wires round i.e. red to yellow and yellow to red rather than matching.  You can do no harm by trying each version, but one of the options would make sure that memory presets etc stay stored and the unit switches on and off with the ignition ... but as I mentioned at the beginning this all depends on whether your car has the 12 volt switched feed from the ignition, and not all do.

Hope this helps.