Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-A846 earphones

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tihicks
Visitor

NWZ-A846 earphones

If I break the earphones on my NWZ-A846, does the noise cancelling function become redundant, as you cant get replacement earphones. Will nornal earphones work, without the noise cancelling.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi tihicks,

The short answer is that whilst you can use 'normal' headphones with your Walkman, the noise cancelling function would not operate.  This is because the earphones that come with your Walkman have tiny microphones built in to them that monitor the sound around you which is how the noise cancelling circuitry works out what it needs to do.

I must admit, I've not seen the earphones sold separately, so if you were ever in the unhappy position of having broken the supplied earphones, then I'd probably try an e-mail to Sony support to see if they're available as a spare part - might be worth a go...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Drumzman
New

Hi tihicks,

The short answer is that whilst you can use 'normal' headphones with your Walkman, the noise cancelling function would not operate.  This is because the earphones that come with your Walkman have tiny microphones built in to them that monitor the sound around you which is how the noise cancelling circuitry works out what it needs to do.

I must admit, I've not seen the earphones sold separately, so if you were ever in the unhappy position of having broken the supplied earphones, then I'd probably try an e-mail to Sony support to see if they're available as a spare part - might be worth a go...

profile.country.GB.title
bazz2011
Explorer

I bought the A845 which is the same unit but with 16Gb memory - mainly for language learning. Sticking earphones into my ears hasn't felt comfortable and I've now started using over ear headphones which have a normal stereo jack.  They work OK for my purposes.  You can turn off the noise cancelling function in Settings. I spent some time searching for compatible noise cancelling over ear headphones without any result before I crossed my fingers and plugged in an ordinary set of headphones. Sony will, as a big favour, supply a replacement set of the one's bundled with the Walkman for over £50 if you need some.

deanobn112ex
Visitor

Google the following -  "buy headphones sony MDR-NC033"  $30 and a two week wait for delivery.

I broke mine on holiday and had 2 weeks of listening with my mates ipod headphones, not happy, the noise cancelling was execellent on the outbound plane.

I Don't care where, how or why they can sell them at a quarter of the cost but they look and sound like the genuine thing