Join now - be part of our community!

Z series & Windows 7

profile.country.en_GB.title
Colin_S85
Visitor

Z series & Windows 7

Ok installed Windows 7 on my James Bond Z series.

Took a few attempts but finally i think i got most of the stuff to work (excluding brightness in Speed mode which i know is a common problem) however i a few outstanding issues.

1 - Most annoy bug i've ever encountered. The windows explorer icon on the task bar, sometimes when i hover over it for aero peak to show me the windows i have open it will pop up for a second and then go away again not allowing me to select any window, it also does the same thing when i right click on it.

2 - If i have a window open that is not maximised, the coloured surround and header to the window flicker, maybe once every couple of seconds. (while typing this a maximised window seems to be doing the same but not as often and after a few flickers it stops where the non-maximised window keeps flickering)

3 - Slow USB transfer speed, i have an hour showing at the moment for an 8.5 GB file transfer from a USB2 hard drive. This transferred in a few minutes when i backed it up before installing windows 7. Tried the same USB HD on another computer and it transfers fine. I'm getting 2.42mb per second.

4 - Memory card reads do not work. When i first installed '7' whatever card read driver i installed first (there are 2; a magicgate and SD card reader) i could get that card reader to work, however not the other. A couple days later neither of them work, not sure when they stopped working.

5 - I have 2 devices in my device manager which are not working:
Base System Device - Hardware ID PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9025104D&REV_11
PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9025104D
PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_088000
PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&CC_0880
Unknown Device - Hardware ID ACPI\SNY6001
*SNY6001

This was a fresh install from a machine previously running XP. I installed the drivers in the order mentioned on other posts. All my Fn buttons work except Brightness in Speed mode and my special buttons work too.

Please help, this is driving me crazy, about ready to revert back to good old trust XP although when 7 works i am quite liking it (hated Vista).

Thanks in Advance

Colin

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Colin and welcome.

I can't fix them all - I think this will need a joint effort!!

The Unknown Device - Hardware ID ACPI/SNY6001 is the Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device. This requires you to install the 'SFEP Driver Sony' to be installed. This needs a forced install from device manager using 'Update Driver' and 'Have Disc' to point to SFEP.INF

As you are probably aware the Base System Device is the Memory Card Reader all I can suggest is that you try reinstalling the two drivers again. Try a Reboot between the installs.

You are using thye Vista Drivers hopefully? You can download the Original Vista Drivers from here:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-Z11XRN_B

Also try clicking on the Update Tab there are a lot of Updates to these Original Vista Drivers.

Hope someone else has a clue about 1,2 & 3

:thinking:

Colin_S85
Visitor

Thanks for your advice Blencogo,

With regards to the Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device, is that not SNY5001 on SNY6001. I have the driver for SNY5001 installed using SFEP. I've tried to update the driver

Also with the card readers i have reinstalled the drivers and have got rid of the 'Base System Device' error in device manager and the MagicGate is working now but not the SD card reader. Tried un-installing and re-installing a few times.

Hopefully someone else can help with the rest.

I now have a new intermittent fault where in the start menu, when i go to all programs and open a program folder the start menu closes before i can select the program i want.

Colin_S85
Visitor

Memory Card Readers now working!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Colin,

Progress!!

My apologies SNY5001 is the Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device and needs the driver SFEP

SNY6001 is the Sony Programmable I/O Control Device and you need to install the SPIC driver from the same download source.

:wink:

Colin_S85
Visitor

Everything seems to be sorted now. 2 new problems, well 1 problem and one question.

I can not seem to share any media with my PS3, the PS3 will just not find the media server. It worked fine before i installed Windows 7.

Also any know how to create a network place, i.e. an FTP site. In XP you just went to network and add new network place.