Join now - be part of our community!

What is hogging my hard drive?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
annron1928
Visitor

What is hogging my hard drive?

I have a Sony Vaio VGN N38E, and wonder if anyone can help me to work out what is hogging my hard drive, it is already over half full and I can't really understand why.  I am not very computer literate so would appreciate any help at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi annron1928,

You could start by deleting all but the most recent recovery point – this can take up to 12% of your hard drive capacity – before doing this make sure that you are happy that your system is working as it should be.

To do this right click the C drive and select Properties. Click Disk Cleanup > Select ‘Files from all users on this computer’ > Click the ‘More Options’ tab and then click ‘Clean Up..’ under ‘System Restore and Shadow Copies’ – on the next windows click Delete.

If you still think that you have excessive storage then you will need to investigate the drive using Windows Explorer. Right clicking any folder and selecting Properties will give total storage for that folder.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi annron1928,

You could start by deleting all but the most recent recovery point – this can take up to 12% of your hard drive capacity – before doing this make sure that you are happy that your system is working as it should be.

To do this right click the C drive and select Properties. Click Disk Cleanup > Select ‘Files from all users on this computer’ > Click the ‘More Options’ tab and then click ‘Clean Up..’ under ‘System Restore and Shadow Copies’ – on the next windows click Delete.

If you still think that you have excessive storage then you will need to investigate the drive using Windows Explorer. Right clicking any folder and selecting Properties will give total storage for that folder.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
annron1928
Visitor

Thanks for that Rich, I will try it and let you know how I go on. 

Annron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Good luck with that annron. And please let us know if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Rich.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat