Join now - be part of our community!

VPCL14S1E/S How do I set up TV with Sky set top box? Only scanning for digital signal and set top box used analogue signal as I found on my previous Vaio on Vista. Please help!!!?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tomlig
Visitor

VPCL14S1E/S How do I set up TV with Sky set top box? Only scanning for digital signal and set top box used analogue signal as I found on my previous Vaio on Vista. Please help!!!?

How Can I get my VPCL14S1E/S to play TV.It is on Windows 7 and I have a Sky set top box. Set up is only allowing a digital signal. On previous set which ran on Vista I needed to set signal to analogue but do not know how to on this set. Please can you help??????

Message was edited by: tomlig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Right - I think I understand now.

To use the VPCL14S1E to view your Satelite broadcasts you will need to upgrade your set-top-box to one with a HDMI output to your Vaio.

Sky offer the full Freesat package with over 240 channels and 6 HD channels for £175: -

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/why-choose-freesat/

This includes Sky HD Box, Dish and Sky Card - you probably don't need all of this so I would give them a ring and ask what is best for your situation.

You can buy third party Freesat SD set top box for about £50 but you will need to check if these will work with your existing dish.  Have a read here: -

http://www.freesat-box.com/

Good Luck!

:thinking:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I presume your previous Vaio had a Hybrid TV Tuner capable of tuning to analogue programs. Your VPCL14S1E has twin DVB-T tuners and can only tune in to a digital signal.

The only way you can connect your Sky box is to the HDMI input.  This will display your Sky programs on your Vaio but will not allow you to record to the Vaio's hard disc - you will have to record to the Sky Box, which is exactly what Sky want.

:wink:

tomlig
Visitor

Thank you so much for your reply Blencogo. My set top box is free to view Sky and is a Pac.e It does not have an HDMI adapter. I was told to get a Scart to 3RCA cable but this did not work -  probably because of the DVB-T tuners. I am a silver surfer and very confused. Do I need a new Sky box or is there anything else I can use ? I would be grateful for any advice.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Tell us a bit more about the Sky set-top-box.  Does it have an ariel connection or does it connect to a satelite dish? If you have the model it would be useful.

Are you unable to get terrestrial DVB-T reception through an ariel in your area?

tomlig
Visitor

Thank you for replying again. The set top box connects to  a satelite dish as we have very poor reception in our area . The Pace box is model DS445NB part code B1772309305. I do not really want to pay to view TV if possible but I cannot find anyone else  who understands both the computer and TV side as you do. Ireally do appreciate your interest

As far as I know we go to digital in this area in March

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Right - I think I understand now.

To use the VPCL14S1E to view your Satelite broadcasts you will need to upgrade your set-top-box to one with a HDMI output to your Vaio.

Sky offer the full Freesat package with over 240 channels and 6 HD channels for £175: -

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/why-choose-freesat/

This includes Sky HD Box, Dish and Sky Card - you probably don't need all of this so I would give them a ring and ask what is best for your situation.

You can buy third party Freesat SD set top box for about £50 but you will need to check if these will work with your existing dish.  Have a read here: -

http://www.freesat-box.com/

Good Luck!

tomlig
Visitor

Thank you so much for that information. It is people like you who make being online a pleasure.