Join now - be part of our community!

VPC-EB1E0E Wlan upgrade - Is it possible?

profile.country.en_GB.title
nomeames
Visitor

VPC-EB1E0E Wlan upgrade - Is it possible?

Currently my laptop supports 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz only). I have recently bought a Netgear Dual band router and want to use the 5GHz band and was thinking if its possible to upgrade? My questions are:

1. Can I buy any card which is 802.11 a/b/g/n or 802.11 a/g/n to be able to use the 5GHz band or could there be any compatibility issues with my laptop? If so how do I know which card is compatible? Also, can anyone suggest a good card for my model?

2. I am thinking of doing it myself as long as it doesn't involve soldering etc. Can anyone please provide me a step by step procedure to replace the wlan card?

(I currently have Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter)

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Obviously dual band internal PCI-e cards are available: -

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm

However, I do not think it will work as an upgrade because your laptop would have to be pre-wired to use the wireless-A 5GHz band and different hardware like internal antenna would be needed.  Probably only USA Vaios are wired for 5GHz and so you would probably be better using the Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter WNDA3100v2.

Although dual band can help with instances of interference from other wireless products, the 5GHz band is inferior in most home networking situations as the shorter wavelength means a shorter range and poor penetration through walls etc. 2.4GHz is usually superior in your home.

:thinking: