Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-M1 Tv Tuner problems - Please help!

Lee-yoshi
Visitor

VGC-M1 Tv Tuner problems - Please help!

Hey all!

It might just be a general TV Tuner problem, but recently my TV Tuner hasn't been responding in VAIO Zone (The TV Tuner is inbuilt somewhere in the computer, and obviously i don't know much about it! - VGC-M1) so i tried to restore my computer as that usually does the trick, but now i don't even get the 'TV' option in VAIO Zone.

Is it because my TV Tuner has broken and now it's not registering or something?
Can it be easily repaired or is it just a case of buying a new TV Tuner card and putting it on the computer, however that's done!

Cheers for any help ^_^

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lee-yoshi and welcome to Club Vaio.

Check the status of your TV card in Device Manager.

Start -> Right-Click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager

Click on the little cross next to 'Sound Video and Game Controllers' to expand it.
Is 'Sony MPEG RealTime Encoder Board' shown? Is it shown as working correctly? Try right-clicking on it and choosing Properties.

If it is not shown it is probably broken. As replacement is going to be difficult and expensive you may wish to consider buying an external USB tuner - it won't work with Vaio Zone but will come with its own software to watch and record TV.

:slight_frown:

Lee-yoshi
Visitor

Hi - Thanks for replying ^_^

Yes it does appear, but with a little '!' in a yellow circle. Under device status it reads 'This device cannot start (Code 10) - Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device' and when i click on the troubleshoot button, a help page appears with nothing on it! lol

Is it basically broken then? 😞 Or is there a possibility of some kind of resurrection so to speak! Updating drivers or anything like that maybe?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You can try Uninstalling it in Device Manager and re-booting to refresh the drivers but I feel this is not going to be successful.

Sadly Code 10 usually means it is not working and Windows hasn't a clue why. Usually it indicates a hardware fault or some physical connection has come apart - either it's dead or a wire connector has fallen off.

I don't think getting into your Vaio is very easy???

:slight_frown:

Lee-yoshi
Visitor

It's probabily not for where-ever they might have hidden the TV Tuner, tho adding more RAM to my comp was simple enough when i did it, it's got a little detachable flap on the back, tho i doubt the tuner is there too. I guess that's what happens with age mind, i have had this comp for a while now! I have no real idea about the insides of computers, so i shouldn't really go jumping into the depths of the back of this thing! hehe

I guess it's a new TV Tuner then? Darn!

Cheers for the help Blencogo ^_^

[EDIT] Does anyone know of a good USB video input/video capture device? I'm looking to record footage from games consoles (Eg Xbox360/Wii) of which i'd normally use the TV Tuner in VAIO Zone for.