Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VPCSB Heat and AMD Issues

tekton23
Explorer

Vaio VPCSB Heat and AMD Issues

Hi,

Two problems that seem to have recently become much worse:-

1. Incredibly noisy fan, constant whirring noise at a high pitch. I have read elsewhere that this is a design fault on this model caused by the screen blocking the fan vent at the rear, when open. Presumeably it is made worse by the current hot weather. Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution?

2. The display goes black suddenly, then slowly reappears and a message pops up referring to the AMD stopping working. Any ideas?

I tried to check if my warranty is still valid, but the warranty check website does not work! :rolling_eyes:

Thanks,

T23

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi T23,
The two issues you report could indicate that your VAIO is overheating.
Might be worth seeking out a local PC repairer to see if they can give your VAIO a deep clean or the cheaper option woulc be to carefully blast around the VAIO's vents with an air duster to see if this alleviates the heat issue.
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you give the full model, someone may be able to help on the warranty.

As a rule of thumb, models with Win 7 HP have a 12 month warranty and models with Win 7 Pro a 24 month warranty.

:thinking:

tekton23
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I contacted Sony support as it turns out to be under a 24 month warranty. They told me to update the graphics card driver and the BIOS, which I have now done; so will see if this fixes the graphics card issue.

The fan noise remains though. I took the cover off to see if I could get to the fan but couldn't. I will buy an air duster to see if that suggestions helps. It is so loud, working on the machine is a real pain.

Thanks,

T23

tekton23
Explorer

Hi,

I think I have found the issue. I turned off a process called POCLBM.EXE, the fan noise stopped immediately. It was running at 25 CPU. Any ideas what this is? How do I remove it?

Thanks,

T23