Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGC-V3S clear/reset CMOS

Divine3000
Visitor

VAIO VGC-V3S clear/reset CMOS

How do I clear CMOS on my VGC-V3S? I have installed 2 new RAM modules which should be acceptable but are causing intermittent boot problems.

Thanks'

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Why do you think there is a problem with the CMOS? Are the memory modules not recognised?

What is the specifications of the memory modules you have installed?

:thinking:

Divine3000
Visitor

Why do you think there is a problem with the CMOS?  Are the memory modules not recognised?

What is the specifications of the memory modules you have installed?

:thinking:

Yeah the memory modules seem to work fine, but the PC has to be switched On-Off-On in order to boot up. When it is first powered up it doesn't reach BIOS stage without being switched back off/on via the mains.
This problem has only begun since the modules were installed, I read resetting the CMOS has fixed similar problems.

Crucial 2X 1GB, 184-pin DIMM, DDR PC3200 memory modules
CT521307
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 184-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR PC3200
Specs: DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 •

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Divine3000,

could the problem be due to the fact that you've installed more than the maximum supported 1GB or RAM.. :thinking:

Divine3000
Visitor

Hi Divine3000,

could the problem be due to the fact that you've installed more than the maximum supported 1GB or RAM.. :thinking:

Hi Thalamus,
This is a definite possibility, although according to Crucial the PC supports 2gb. I guess I'll remove a module and see how it fares. I did read similar threads to this suggesting that the CMOS is still trying to use the original 512mb RAM & clearing it would fix the issue.

Thanks' for your input guys :slight_smile: