Join now - be part of our community!

vaio AR 51 SU : a couple seconds after start 1 long bip 2 shorts bips and nothing more happens, sony logo lights up but screen stays black

SOLVED
profile.country.fr_FR.title
dapetit22
Visitor

vaio AR 51 SU : a couple seconds after start 1 long bip 2 shorts bips and nothing more happens, sony logo lights up but screen stays black

vaio AR 51 SU : a couple seconds after start, I get 1 long bip 2 shorts bips and nothing more happens, sony logo lights up but screen stays black

blu ray drive turns but no real starting of the system occurs

It worked fine almost 3 years otherwise

any idea what those bips would mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I presume you see nothing on the screen - not even the Vaio Logo splash screen?  If you do see the Vaio logo then ignore the rest of this post and try to boot your Vaio into Safe Mode (tap F8 continuously when you see the Vaio logo).

The Beep Code of one long and two short beeps is the warning that the BIOS cannot initialise the video display and therefore cannot display further error information.  The usual cause is a defective video adapter or faulty wiring in the video/screen circuitry.

A less likely cause is a memory issue.  You could try re-seating the memory modules to eliminate a poor connection there - it is worth a try before going for a repair.

The well known nVidia chip failure issue is not normally associated with your Vaio model but this must be a possibility although a total failure is rare.  In any event you will need to contact Vaio Support or a local repairer for advice.

Look here for contact details: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR51SU

:slight_frown:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I presume you see nothing on the screen - not even the Vaio Logo splash screen?  If you do see the Vaio logo then ignore the rest of this post and try to boot your Vaio into Safe Mode (tap F8 continuously when you see the Vaio logo).

The Beep Code of one long and two short beeps is the warning that the BIOS cannot initialise the video display and therefore cannot display further error information.  The usual cause is a defective video adapter or faulty wiring in the video/screen circuitry.

A less likely cause is a memory issue.  You could try re-seating the memory modules to eliminate a poor connection there - it is worth a try before going for a repair.

The well known nVidia chip failure issue is not normally associated with your Vaio model but this must be a possibility although a total failure is rare.  In any event you will need to contact Vaio Support or a local repairer for advice.

Look here for contact details: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR51SU

:slight_frown:

profile.country.fr_FR.title
dapetit22
Visitor

Hi,

Right, it is not showing anything so I tried to replace the memory and even try other mem chips I have and the beeps keep beeping and the screen not showing sadly.

It seems the nvidia chip failure occured on mine, bad luck.

it is still within guaranty, so I hope customer support will act swiftly.

Thanks for your help