Join now - be part of our community!

USB drivers

profile.country.en_GB.title
jeremy6005
Visitor

USB drivers

Can anyone help me? I have had problems since the start installing software for a printer (well, actually, 3 printers, the latest of which I know is Vista compatible) on my VGN AR31M. Today, after much time on a help line, I was advised the problem points to faulty drivers on my USB ports. This would actually explain a few other things ...

So - how do I find the drivers and what should I do to reinstall them/correct the problem? Any ideas would be gratefully accepted!

Jeraldo :slight_frown:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jeraldo,

The drivers for USB are part of the Windows Operating System. To be honest, I would be surprised if it was faulty drivers but it is worth giving it a go.

Try going to Device Manager and expanding "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
You should have a number of 'USB Universal Host Controllers' (usually about 4) and one 'USB2 Enhanced Host Controller'.
Right-click on each of these in turn and choose 'Uninstall'.
ReBoot to reinstall the drivers.

:wink:

jeremy6005
Visitor

Hi again Blencogo
Tried this and half way through it crashed the mouse ... The problem seems to be that I cannot install any printer and after trying everything it seems to come down to the fact that there is no USB port showing on the list under the ports it is trying to attach to. There are LPT and Com ports but apparently they need a USB port to function and these drivers aren't being recognised by any printer I've tried. And that's 3 now. It's getting frustrating as I can't seem to get a printer to work with this notebook - something's wrong somewhere!
Jeraldo

jeremy6005
Visitor

Hi Blencogo
Have now managed to install the printer using the USB ports and after much time!

But - touchpad has now been lost! This has happened before. Can you remind me of the link to retrieve the drivers for it?

Jeraldo

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That must be a relief!! Well done.

You need the Alps Pointing Driver 7.0.501.7. Towards the bottom of the page here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-AR&m=2418...

:wink:

jeremy6005
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo - have saved the link for future reference. However, whilst it tells me it has installed, it is not working and it does not show under the mice/other pointing devices in device manager. Any ideas about how to rectify this?

Jeraldo