Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade to 64bit

MoldCAD
Visitor

Upgrade to 64bit

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my Vaio's RAM to 4 GB, and of course would like to install a 64-bit OS. My Vaio came with Vista Ultimate 32bit, and no Vista CD was attached. However, I do have the boxed Vista Ultimate in both versions (32 and 64bit).

Question:

If I install the 64bit version of Vista from my non-Vaio package, but enter the Product Key that came with Vista Ulitmate 32bit on my Vaio - will it activate online without problems?

I have no doubts as to the legal aspect, because as far as I know, the Ultimate version should be licenced for both 32 and 64bit systems - but any comments welcome.

Also, from the technical viewpoint, any special measures I should be taking while installing Vista Ultimate x64?

1 REPLY 1
MoldCAD
Visitor

I talked to Microsoft, and they confirm upgrading the "bit version" of Vista Ultimate using the same Product Key is absolutely legitimate from MS licensing point of view. And yet Sony is unwilling to help me do it - I have the boxed Vista Ultimate DVDs (both 32 and 64bit), but it will not accept the current Product Key that came with my Vaio!

Anyone can help with some hints?