Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Fit - Poor Build Quality, terrible customer service, warranty not worth the virtual paper it's written on

Sony Vaio Fit - Poor Build Quality, terrible customer service, warranty not worth the virtual paper it's written on

Sony Customer support is awful as is the build quality of its Vaio Fit range of laptops it would appear.

I purchased 2 customised versions of the Vaio fit model less than 6 months ago.

At month 4, one of the laptops developed a fault where the screen slightly came away from the surrounding lid in the bottom left hand corner. It was only very slight and because the laptop functioned without fault I decided to live with it. (I also picked it up off the desk one day to discover one of the screws had just fallen out but let's not dwell on that).

A month later and still less than 6 months old I opened the lid one morning to find the surrounding lid had completely come away and that it requires holding together each time it's opened or I risk it completely snapping in some way.

Sony-Fit-Poor-Build-Quality.PNG

Having initially struggled to find any way to gain some support through the website (telephone number provided results in automated message requesting case id which of course you don't have until you email for support), I finally gained a case ID and spoke to support.

The support people then emailed me requesting photos of the problem so they could determine whether it was covered by the warranty.

2 days later I was informed that they had agreed to send the laptop for repair and so collection was arranged.

On the 4th day of the laptop being sent I received a call from the repair centre in Warrington (outsourced to flextronics.com) and was told the engineer had looked at the problem but because it was physically damaged that it wasn't covered by the warranty. He explained that Sony support should have explained that in the first place and because of that I had two options;

Option 1 - Pay £185 to have the laptop repaired and returned

Option 2 - Except return of the laptop unrepaired and Sony will cover the costs of transit because it should have been explained in the first place that physical damage is not covered by the warranty

Obviously I am less than happy, I'm outraged.

Yes, it is physically damaged but not by misuse of the laptop in any way by me. I took photos before sending it off to ensure I had dated proof that illustrates the laptop has never been dropped.

I've decided to accept the laptop back (not really given much other option because there's no way I'm paying for them to repair something I think should be covered under warranty) and have been given the Sony customer relations department address who it has been suggested I now need to take up the issue with.

I find it disgusting that a company like Sony can sell laptops for nearly £1000 and the poor build quality means that less than 6 months down the road the consumer is left having to pay their own repair.

The sale of Sale of Goods Act 1979, chapter 54, part 2, section 14, states goods have to be fit for purpose and in this instance I don't believe the laptop sold to me is fit for purpose.

I think the physical damage I'm experiencing is due to a design fault frankly. The laptops lids have been designed to slightly raise the back of the laptop off the surface they're on. The 2nd identical laptop I purchased at the same time shows signs of starting to flex in exactly the same point. There's even reference to the poor quality in this review from PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/384214/sony-vaio-fit-15e

"Build quality is squarely in budget territory. There’s a little flex in the base, but our main problem is with the Sony’s lid. Flex it from side to side and there’s a tendency for the plastic panel to click slightly out of place around the right-hand edge."

So it's on its way back and I'll be taking it up with Sony customer relations which is at the address below for anyone else wanting to make a complaint;

Sony UK Limited

The Heights

Brooklands

Weybridge

Surrey

KT13 0XW

It'll also be the last Sony Vaio I'll be buying having purchased numerous over the years. You've lost a customer Sony.

36 REPLIES 36
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi @RoyWilding-PushON as per my previous message can you confirm if anyone from Sony Vaio support been in contact with you.?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@Thalamus. wrote:

Hi @RoyWilding-PushON as per my previous message can you confirm if anyone from Sony Vaio support been in contact with you.?

Hi @RoyWilding-PushON  not heard back from you..:smileyconfused:

However from what I have been told you needed some time to backup the data on your vaio before agreeing that your vaio could be collected, If my source is correct your Vaio has been collected now. Is this correct.?

Hi @Thalamus. apologies for the slow response. Yes the laptop has gone off for repair. I've not heard anything back yet though so I'll chase up with CRO.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi @RoyWilding-PushON ,

I have been informed that your vaio is with the repair centre so this may save you the bother of contacting CRO..:smileywink:

Thanks @Thalamus. I've had to contact them anyway because the 2nd identical laptop we purchased is showing increasingly worrying signs that the same issue will occur. I could do with know whether we continue to use and wait for it to break as well or book in now for a repair or replacement.

Sony-Fit-2.PNG

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi @RoyWilding-PushON,

Ok I understand thought it would save you some time..

I have just sent you a Private Message..

andrewcusack
Explorer

We returned our Vaio a few hours after it arrived, as we could tell the quality of the product was substandard and has hardware/software issues.

The level of customer service matches the Vaio product.   Days (if ever) response to support queries and they charge you to call their support line; why should a customer have to pay Sony for a Sony failure.

Needless to say we won't be buying from Sony again (maybe apart from a PS5 :slight_smile: in a few years time but hopefully by then Sony will have improved, not sure they can get worse)

Just to update everyone on this. Sony did a u-turn and offered to repair it. It went back to the repair centre and I received a call 2 weeks later to say the parts wouldn't be available until the end of May so there were 2 options;

1. Replacement
2. Full refund

I was then told there were no replacements available so there really was only one option so obviously I went for a full refund.

It's now been a week and I'm still waiting for a refund or to get a response.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thalamus. wrote:

Hi @RoyWilding-PushON,

Ok I understand thought it would save you some time..

I have just sent you a Private Message..

Hi Roy,

did you read the Private Message that I sent to you on 19-03-2014..:smileyconfused:

Hi @Thalamus. 

thanks very much for picking this up once again. I get quicker responses from you than the official support channels.

I've tried to reply to your message but it reports that you do not accept private messages so not sure how to provide details.