Join now - be part of our community!

Should I be worried?...

xMissB
Visitor

Should I be worried?...

Hi everyone.
Two days ago I bought a brand new VGN-NW20 which I absolutely love, but there's just one thing that's worrying me slightly. The disc drive indicator light is flashing orange continuously (I mean every second or so) and I really don't think it should be doing this? I read in the user guide that if it's lit, you shouldn't turn the computer off but I've been turning it off when it's flashing and now I'm concerned that I'll mess it up or something.

This is my very first laptop and I don't know a great deal about the technical side, but I am worrying myself over this. It came preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Premium if that makes any difference. I'd really appreciate anyone's help on what I should do.
Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi xMissB and welcome.

What you are experiencing sounds quite normal, especially in the first few days after windows has been initialised.

Even after all the initial indexing of files has been completed you will still rarely find a time when the hard disk light does not flash occasionally as there are many operations going on in the background.

If the HDD light is on continuously (solid light) it may be prudent to wait until whatever is going on has finished before shutting down, otherwise there should be no problem.

Enjoy your new notebook.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi xMissB and welcome to Club Vaio

I bet you have the Pink One!

I would not worry about the light for the Hard Disc - this will flash ever time your computer wants to access any data at all and Windows 7 does this quite often. Especially when new, Windows 7 will be calibrating and indexing your drive so activity will happen more often and will get less after a while.

You have nothing to fear if you close down your Vaio normally or put it to sleep normally. The instruction is not to force it to close down by removing the power lead or removing the battery when the hard drive is doing something.

I would ignore that light and enjoy your new Vaio.

:wink:

EDIT: Good Evening Rich!

:slight_smile:

xMissB
Visitor

Thank you both for your replies! :smileygrin:
You've put my mind at ease and I'm now going to stop worrying and get on with enjoying my new notebook. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome xMissB :slight_smile:

Good evening Blencogo :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat