Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery Disk - Missing File?

Nads
Visitor

Recovery Disk - Missing File?

Hi. I`m trying to recover my C drive after my XP suffered a complete system failure. When I run the recovery disk it always fails during the final proces. I always get the same message: Cannot find the necessary file for the final process of the recovery.

Is this likely to be a problem with the disk or could it be a hard drive problem?

If it`s the disk, is there a way of getting a replacement?

Would be grateful for any help.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nads,

You may possibly have corrupt/damaged recovery media. Have you tried cleaning the disk?

If you have an HDD recovery partition then I suggest that you try running the recovery from that – tap F10 at startup.

If you don’t have HDDR then you can purchase a set of recovery media from support.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Resonate
Visitor

Try by going to Start > Run > sfc / scannow

Nads
Visitor

Thanks Guys

I tried cleaning the disk but that didn't work. I'm also unable to use my Start menu as my Windows is completely dead - in fact my C drive is showing up as having no data, after a series of unsuccessfully recovery attampts.

I'm pretty sure I don't have recovery on my D but will try F10. Will try and get hold of another disk.

Another option I am considering is trying an XP install from a different XP installation disk. If I use the product codes supplied with the laptop, could this work? I have a slight nagging worry that using anything other than the Sony supplied disk may be a *bad thing*.

Again, any advice greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I'm pretty sure I don't have recovery on my D but will try F10.

Hi nads,

What model vaio do you have..?

If your vaio has a recovery partition it will not be on your D drive, it's actually another separate hidden partition.. :wink:

Nads
Visitor

I didn't realise that. I have an VGN-A115B.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Nads,

Unfortunately the A115B does not have a hidden recovery partition.. :slight_frown:

Have you tried making a copy of the recovery disc, and try the recovery process again..?

If this does not work, you can contact Vaio-Link to purchase another set of recovery disc's..

Nads
Visitor

Thanks again, will try both.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: