Join now - be part of our community!

Motion eye not working - vgn-nw26m

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tuntyof
Visitor

Motion eye not working - vgn-nw26m

Hi

Go easy on me please, this is all new to me!

My daughter's machine with windows 7 from new was bought from pcworld 2 years ago. She has just decided to use the built in camera but it won't work and we are not sure if it ever worked. There is the arcsoft software installed but I can't find any driver or anything related to imaging devices - i'm assuming that's the problem but I can't find this in sony support downloads.

Phoned Sony support also but can't get through - any help much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tuntyof,

Unfortunately it would seem  the problem is hardware related but exactly what is impossible to say. I can understand your reluctance to carry out a factory reset although this is usually completed without problem but reinstalling third party applications and personal data is time consuming.

A repair will no doubt be expensive and the cheapest option would be to purchase an external USB camera.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tuntyof,

The camera on your model uses native Windows drivers so you will not find these in the Sony Support download section.

Have you checked in Device Manager, under Imaging Devices, that there is a Sony Visual Communications Camera listed? If so, right click the device and under properties, is the device enabled and reported as working?

If this is not present let us know what devices are listed (under Imaging Devices) or whether you have any ‘Unknown Device’ under any subsection.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tuntyof
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for replying.

There is no section for 'imaging device' listed in the device manager. There is an 'unknown device' listed under the usb contollers but it says this has been stopped working by windows because it has reported problems (code 43). Any thoughts

cheers

tuntyof

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi tunyof,

This could be hardware related but I suggest that you start by running Microsoft’s automated repair tool.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

If this doesn’t fix the problem then come back and we can suggest other procedures you can try.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tuntyof
Visitor

Morning Rich

Thanks again, tried that but problem remains unresolved. It did detect the code 43 mentioned above but that remains listed in the device manager. When using the arcsoft, i just get a message saying a camera was not found or is not working

Tuntyof

stuart1001
Visitor

Hey, sorry for crashing a thread here but i also have the same probvlem and have been following your advice with intrest. Im very green to this sort of level of computing but have managed to run the fix it program, the program has found an unknown device with no driver. thats as far is i have got, woul;d be extremely grateful for any further help. thanks. Stuart adams..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tuntyof and stuart1001,

Try updating the driver for the unknown device – right click the device and select update driver. The folder to point to is C:\Windows\inf

If this fails to resolve the problem then uninstall the device (from within Device Manager) – right click the unknown device and select uninstall.

Shut down, disconnect the power adaptor, remove the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Reattach the battery and power adaptor and reboot. Hopefully Windows will recognise the device and install the necessary drivers.

Good luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tuntyof
Visitor

Hi Rich

No luck i'm afraid - it just reinstalled the unknown device with the same problem, Arcsoft still saying camera not found or not working properly.

thanks

Tuntyof

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Tuntyof,

This is a last ditch solution before concluding that the problem is possibly hardware related.

Uninstall all devices under the Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager (This includes any USB Mass Storage Devices, USB Host Controllers, and USB Root Hub) and then shut down and reboot.

Again, hopefully Windows will recognise these devices and install the necessary drivers.

If that has no effect then the final resort is a factory reset, using either F10 at boot (when you see the Vaio logo) to access the HDD recovery utility or your recovery disks. This process will wipe all of your personal data (make a backup of anything you need) and third party software which will need to be reinstalled.

If this also fails to solve the problem then it is hardware related.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tuntyof
Visitor

thanks again Rich.

I tried the first suggestion but to no avail. My daughter doesn't want me to try the factory reset and in truth, I'm not sure I trust myself. Furthermore, we have never used the camera so a hardware problem has to be a possibility now we have tried most of what you suggested. Do you think a faulty camera or are there other possibilities - presumably a job for a technician?

cheers

tuntyof